Gum Shields

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Gum Shields

Post by Wado-Karate »

Some of my students would like to obtain custom made gum shields for use when fighting. Of course, these are much better than the 'drop in a glass of hot water and mould to your gums' type. They have asked at their usual dentist, Cool Smile, but were told no. Can anybody please tell me if there is a dentist in Hua Hin who can make custom made gum shields?
Karate - The Hardest Part Is Walking Through The Dojo Door

Don't forget, the first lesson is always free with the WKF - absolutely no obligation
huahinjim
Professional
Professional

Re: Gum Shields

Post by huahinjim »

Hi WK,

A few years ago a neighbour wanted a gum shield made to help as he ground his teeth while sleeping.

I asked my dentist Dr Sirinate Witchucharn of Smile Dentists and she said they could possibly do it.

She has surgery at Hua Hin Village opposite the Marakesh Condo. Phone number 032 530 542
If she cannot do she may be able to make a suggestion. She and staff have very good English

Jim
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

I've purchased these to guard against teeth grinding at a number of dentists, including Cool Smile here in Hua Hin. They are called a "dental splint". The dentist will take a molding, then send off to a dental lab to have the splint made from the molding, same as they do a crown. I think I paid 3000 baht last time I bought one, which was about 6 years ago.
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

Thanks Jim & Jesse. I've had to Google 'dental splint', and while similar, would not actually offer the protection required. However, it might be a good starting point. I will take my UK gum shield to the above suggestions to see what they say.

I must say, with the amount of Muay Thai fighters around, I surprised I didn't get more response.
Karate - The Hardest Part Is Walking Through The Dojo Door

Don't forget, the first lesson is always free with the WKF - absolutely no obligation