Buying a 3 Piece Suit

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Buying a 3 Piece Suit

Post by jumusman »

I have lived here for 5 years and the time has finally come where I need a suit for a wedding back in the U.S. Now I have driven past so many suit shops, as have most of us, throughout the years and never given it a second thought as to which one to choose.

I went to a shop today close to the Hilton and the quoted me 10,000 baht for a blue 3 piece suit. Does anyone know the going rate ?

Should I go to Mike and Taylor because they make a better suit and are well known in Thailand or am I just paying for the name and the extra rent money they pay ? Wondering if anyone has experience with these shops.

I am of course going to get a second and third opinion and shop around... :D
"If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." - Albert Einstein, 1936
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Re: Buying a 3 Piece Suit

Post by JamesWest »

I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

If it's a 'one-off' for a wedding, why not just rent a suit for the occasion. If your plan is to continue living here, purchasing a suit would be pointless.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

You beat me to it HHTel. :wink: You could probably rent a better quality suit in the U.S., for a lot less money, and not have the hassle of fittings, etc. My personal experience of having clothes made here is that they never quite turn out what you expect them to be.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

Actually now I think about it I do want a suit that I can keep and hopefully use in the future. I did visit Mike and Co this evening and they wanted 24,000 for a 3 piece suit. Of course there is a big difference between 10,000 baht and 24,000 but they say its all in the material and the hand stitching blah blah blah.... I think I have made my mind up... cheaper suit. Thanks all.
"If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." - Albert Einstein, 1936
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

If you are only using for the wedding, and to keep just in case, the cheaper would probably not make a difference.

I bought some suits in BKK from Majestic. Cheap by US standards, and high quality, but I had to wear them fairly often so figured the extra quality (or at least they told me so!) was worth it
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

jumusman wrote:I did visit Mike and Co this evening and they wanted 24,000 for a 3 piece suit. Of course there is a big difference between 10,000 baht and 24,000 but they say its all in the material and the hand stitching blah blah blah....
I don't know if Mike & Co are different to other tailors, but most use the same backstreet sweat shops. Maybe ask if you can see their workshop before deciding.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

I have used the workshop at the top of Soi 80 for the past few years on each visit and always find it excellent. Their English is OK and I reckon you should be able to get a quality three-piece in an Italian 120 wool for less than 5,000 THB. I've paid significantly less than that in the past but am often buying multiple items (shirts, trousers, jackets etc.) for my work back home. They are situated just opposite the Indian restaurant, almost the first shop on Soi 80 and have a large stone table (with a chequerboard top, I think?) outside. When you look in you'll see all the sewing machines and irons, as well as lots of hangers branded with the names of all the great tailoring 'shops' near the Hilton.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

If you go directly to the workshop you may have to buy the material yourself, but this is easy, there are material outlets.
Do it this way and your 10,000b for material and tailoring is more than enough, my last one 6000b fora 2 piece
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

J.J.B. wrote:I have used the workshop at the top of Soi 80 for the past few years on each visit and always find it excellent.
That is exactly what I used to do - never disappointed.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20