Living in hua hin?

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
Samuibill
Novice
Novice

Living in hua hin?

Post by Samuibill »

I am thinking of moving to Hua hin in the future from koh Samui,I would like to know a few things before like how are driving conditions there because in Samui they are appalling and every time you go out in a car or on a bike you are takin a chance!there is no law in Samui and after 10 years here want to leave!so I'm keen to know about driving,restaurants,things for children to do etc,and also buying a new villa,and also I like to do motocross and trial riding if that goes on in hua hin!any info would be very useful and thankyou.
perfectvolley

Re: Living in hua hin?

Post by perfectvolley »

hello samuibill or maybe hhbill .
I think the driving conditions are not so different to Samui. I have been to Samui some month ago and its all the
same in Thailand. Car allways comes first. And the bigger the car the better.
For your hobby motocross Hua Hin is a good choice. In the south of HH there are a lot mountains where you can go.
I used to do hobby motocross when i was younger. I know its real fun. Finding a home will be no problem. Here are
so many in all kinds of size and dimensions. Its up to your wallet.
:thumb: :bow: :thumb:
Samuibill
Novice
Novice

Post by Samuibill »

Ok thanks,that's good news for the motocross:)I'm sure the roads are much much better there than here!samui has the highest death rate on the roads in Thailand!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Driving in Hua Hin is pretty much the same as Samui, you wont find any difference. It is another tourist town full of flash cars and pretentious pricks behind the wheel that all want to be somewhere 5 minutes before they left.

Have a read of the feeding time section, plenty of info there on local restaurants, and the property section has all you need on buying here. Listings can be found here: http://www.propertyhuahin.net

Local bikers meet up here and here, there are plenty of opportunities to get dirty on two wheels!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

less in your face mafia police here. better quality of tourists, married couples, families, and higher income expats. More upscale Thais. Families here with small children. Bus loads of Chinese tourists. Some Russians. Water parks, golf courses.

The driving is like Samui except you drive in straight lines, not around and round. :D Any day you make it home alive or undamaged is a good day in Thailand. Heavy traffic in high season with bumper to bumper cars on weekends in some areas.

Many places within one hour for dirt bikes and touring bikes south and west of town. I have a big bike. Stay off of the main highways as much as possible. Plan your route in advance and stay on smaller roads. Some great sight seeing to the south of town. ASSUME NOTHING. USE EXTREME CAUTION.

Many rentals. Very limited flights in and out. Beaches are terrible compared to Samui. Immigration office very near by and Dept of Mad Max 30 minutes away. Bangkok Hospital is great. And Hua Hin Hospital is good if you are on a budget.

Villa market. Tesco Lotus. Big C. Makro.

Cha Am is cheaper. Many things over priced because HH is upscale. Even for Thais in local markets.

Many people looking to Pran Buri to the south as cheaper, way less traffic, beautiful mountains near by and OK beaches. Nice fishing village vibe.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

JamesWest wrote: The driving is like Samui except you drive in straight lines, not around and round.
:lach: :lach:
This is the way
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

dtaai-maai wrote:
JamesWest wrote: The driving is like Samui except you drive in straight lines, not around and round.
:lach: :lach:
... and
Dept of Mad Max 30 minutes away
:lach:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

Having lived in Hua Hin for 4 years I can say that you will notice it is very dry there 6 months of the year. Driest place in Thailand as a matter of fact. Hills and everything turn brown. That is quite a difference from the lush green environment of Samui. I

I have enjoyed moving south across the water (Khanom) from Samui as it is so green and lush ALL year around. Driving around roads here on the mainland that are beautiful and green with very little traffic. Nothing more enjoyable than drive from Khanom to Don Sak with the stereo playing smooth music to go with the beautiful surrounding green and mountains.

Yes, if you must be around people, Hua Hin is very good for that and a lot of amenities of the big city there also. I began to avoid the downtown area on the weekends and especially evenings because of the traffic.

You really need to make a trip north and stay a few days in Hua Hin to get the feel for it before you make a decision. It may or may not be just what your looking for.
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

I've driven in both and am more comfortable doing so in HH. Seem to be a few less crazies on the road.
Samuibill
Novice
Novice

Post by Samuibill »

Ok thanks for all your replys,will be going up there in the next few months to look,I'm sure the roads will be much better and safer as Samui roads are very small and every day you come across some idiot coming at you on the wrong side of the road!and no police present at all anywhere!Also are there and parts out of town center that are popular with expats which have restaurants etc?if anyone does motocross on this forum maybe you could contact me:)
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

many "expat" places, even a few a little bit out of town...
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.