Question for the Swimming Pool experts

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Question for the Swimming Pool experts

Post by oakdale160 »

I have had bad luck with pool care when I was away for several months--Is emptying the pool an option??
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

oakdale160 wrote:I have had bad luck with pool care when I was away for several months--Is emptying the pool an option??
You need to describe the problem a bit more as there may be other less drastic solutions. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I would like to leave fora few months and not need any maintainace for the pool
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

oakdale160 wrote:I would like to leave fora few months and not need any maintenance for the pool
A couple options and maybe Nereus and others can comment as well which may be the best one:

1) If you have a filter timer and chlorine release timer on your system I would just set it all on automatic and let it run normal cycles each day while you're gone. (Most expensive)

2) Turn everything off and just let it sit. You save your water but you'll have to brush sides and bottom, shock your pool with chlorine and acid, and run your filter about 8-9 hours a day for a week to get your water cleanliness and clarity back. Backwash several times will be needed as well. (Least expensive)

3) Drain it and then do a complete side and floor cleaning when you return before you refill it. (Most labour intensive)

I don't know which one I would choose. Would need to think about it. Lets wait to see if any other ideas. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Draining a pool can be fraught with problems. Concrete pools are usually not a problem if built correctly, where as fibreglass or similar light material construction, can either collapse, or in some cases, pop right out of the ground.

Just leaving it without any maintenance at all will at the least, cost you more in the long run, to get it back up to unusable. It is not just only the pool itself, but the pumps and filter are not designed to be left sitting unused for any length of time. Vermin can and will, get into pump motors if left unused.

If you have had a problem with your existing pool service people, then I think that I would be looking for a new contractor. There are dozens of them in Hua Hin, but you need to ask around to find one that is reliable. You also need somebody reliable that can go and look at the pool and house every week or so, even if you have to pay them. There are people that do that, and it also helps keep the kamoys away. It will work out cheaper in the long run and also give some peace of mind while you are away.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

For a few months only I would get a good pool company to do the cleaning etc while you are away. The largest cost is the electricity but this is likely to be by-far the cheapest option in the mid term
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

"GOOD" pool company--suggestions please, I have experienced some of the others