New water heater

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
Leupold
Rookie
Rookie

New water heater

Post by Leupold »

I am looking to replace the old water heater in my house in Cha-Am and want some advice for a good one that actually can keep the temperature at a steady number? Any advice out here, and where to buy the model if possible :)
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: New water heater

Post by Nereus »

Leupold wrote:I am looking to replace the old water heater in my house in Cha-Am and want some advice for a good one that actually can keep the temperature at a steady number? Any advice out here, and where to buy the model if possible :)
What are you using it for? Is it an instantaneous single point type or a storage type?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Leupold
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Leupold »

Im thinking about an instantaneous single type to replace the old crappy one :)
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The first thing that you need to decide is the wattage rating of any heater. They range from around 3,000 Watts up to 6,000 Watts. 3 kw is around 13 amps, 6 kw 27 amps at 220 Volts, so it should be on a separate circuit with the appropriate sized circuit breaker / fuse, and wiring.

Most modern units have a fault cut out safety switch fitted, but it SHOULD have a good ground wire fitted in addition to that. In fact, most of the safety switches will not operate without a ground wire.

There are a couple of types of heat controls: the simplest is a 3 heat switch (lo, med, hi, off), others have an infinitely variable rotating switch which involves more things to go wrong and is not really of much advantage.

Some of the cheaper units use a small tube with the element inside which is very prone to blocking up with the slightest amount of impurities in the water. The better one have a small tank with the elements inside it which are much better. Insist in looking inside a new one and it will be obvious.

There are dozens of different makes and models, including fake "name" units, and just as many different prices. Some are marked "multipoint", which does not really amount to much difference. There are many different places selling them, but there may not be that much difference in price between shops. Thai Watsudu and a couple of those big shops between Cha Am and Hua Hin should be as good as any.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Nereus wrote:The first thing that you need to decide is the wattage rating of any heater. They range from around 3,000 Watts up to 6,000 Watts. 3 kw is around 13 amps, 6 kw 27 amps at 220 Volts, so it should be on a separate circuit with the appropriate sized circuit breaker / fuse, and wiring.

Most modern units have a fault cut out safety switch fitted, but it SHOULD have a good ground wire fitted in addition to that. In fact, most of the safety switches will not operate without a ground wire.

There are a couple of types of heat controls: the simplest is a 3 heat switch (lo, med, hi, off), others have an infinitely variable rotating switch which involves more things to go wrong and is not really of much advantage.

Some of the cheaper units use a small tube with the element inside which is very prone to blocking up with the slightest amount of impurities in the water. The better one have a small tank with the elements inside it which are much better. Insist in looking inside a new one and it will be obvious.

There are dozens of different makes and models, including fake "name" units, and just as many different prices. Some are marked "multipoint", which does not really amount to much difference. There are many different places selling them, but there may not be that much difference in price between shops. Thai Watsudu and a couple of those big shops between Cha Am and Hua Hin should be as good as any.
I bought four Mex branded heaters from Thai Watsadu, all of them rated at 6 kw. They operate at low pressure (not all of them do) and whilst they don't get a lot of use, no problems after 6 months.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

I have been using a Stiebel units in BKK and HH for the last 7/8 years without any issue. Not sure if these are available from Thai Watsudu.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Bristolian wrote:I have been using a Stiebel units in BKK and HH for the last 7/8 years without any issue. Not sure if these are available from Thai Watsudu.
Yes, I have a Stiebel Eltron in Bangkok that is coming up to 15 years old and it is still good. Not sure about the newer models but mine does not have any temperature control on the outside, it relies on the water flow, which can be a problem if using a single lever type mixing valve, as compared to two separate valves on the shower.
It is also suitable for 380 Volt supply, with several different connection arrangements that also affect the wattage rating. From what I have noticed they are considerably more expensive than the usual Panasonic / Sharp etc. brands, but worth the extra if you intend to keep it.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Nereus wrote:
Bristolian wrote:I have been using a Stiebel units in BKK and HH for the last 7/8 years without any issue. Not sure if these are available from Thai Watsudu.
Yes, I have a Stiebel Eltron in Bangkok that is coming up to 15 years old and it is still good. Not sure about the newer models but mine does not have any temperature control on the outside, it relies on the water flow, which can be a problem if using a single lever type mixing valve, as compared to two separate valves on the shower.
It is also suitable for 380 Volt supply, with several different connection arrangements that also affect the wattage rating. From what I have noticed they are considerably more expensive than the usual Panasonic / Sharp etc. brands, but worth the extra if you intend to keep it.
Mine do have a tempeature control on the outside but to be honest I have not changed the settings since they were first installed. I have not found a problem with a single mixing valve in the shower but my water pressure remains pretty constant. They may be a little more expensve, as you say, compared with some of the other brands but with zero issues in 7/8 years daily operation, the investment was worth while.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

We've had good luck with AEG. At present we have an AEG BMT 60 in one bathroom and although very small, it's adequate and seems very reliable. Reading the AEG website I see that Stiebel Eltron makes some (maybe all?) of the AEG water heater line.

Unfortunately I did find this warning about a few of their heaters in case anyone has one of the target models. Pete :cheers:

http://www.stiebel-eltron.de/en/privatk ... eta/21680/

EDIT: Whatever you do, stay away from Fujika-Thailand products. Many chain stores here like Home Pro etc., will put a hard sell on you that "they are the best...blah.blah.blah..." That's because the sales clerk gets a good commission.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Leupold
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Leupold »

Thanks for the very informative answers. I have been to Home Pro looking there but it was not easy to pick one as the price range was suprisingly big. The seller tried of course to sell me the most expensive ones. I could see alot of the well known and good reputated brands there but they are also the most expensive.
My biggest issue with the old one and why i want to replace it is the ustable temperature. It has a knob on the outside for ajusting the temp, and a small tube/container/tank inside measuring about 6cm*15cm.

Anyway, i will take a look also in Thai Watsadu and check out the models you have recommended. Thanks!
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

im not 100% sure but the more watt its have its getting warm more qiucly.
I think we paid 3000 bath with installation, for a 3000 watt and its gets boilling warm very quick.
can not remmeber the name but can find out.

:cheers: :cheers:
CraigNewton
Novice
Novice

Post by CraigNewton »

Oh thanks guys! I am in need of a new water heater. Thanks for giving a good guide. I have been reading reviews as well.