Residential Window Tinting.

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
ozuncle
Guru
Guru

Residential Window Tinting.

Post by ozuncle »

Can anyone help with details of window tinting people.
I guess the ones that do cars also do houses.
I have not paid enough attention in the past, but which direction is the most severe for sun shining on windows.
I would think from the South and the East. Is that correct?

:cheers:
You only live once.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Hi

Not sure if you're aware of it but the tinted windows one see across here are bought that way. In other words, when they fit the windows they simply use tinted glass. I think you may find it's not possible to get windows regular glass tinted after the manufacturing process butall is not lost because even if you decide to replace your existing widowns with tinted glass, the glass is really cheap so the entire house would not cost much to do.

Hope this helps

S :cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
nevets
Guru
Guru

Post by nevets »

I have tinted glass as fitted when windows put in , and the last poster would be right , and yes east and south going around the house and setting in the west .
ozuncle
Guru
Guru

Post by ozuncle »

Thanks Takiap,
They are tinted glass, but ever so slight.
I want heavy tinting (about 90% UV ray protection)
Some I want mirror finish so you cant see in, in the day time.
You only live once.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

HomePro are selling a film which you can stick to the glass which requires no adhesive or glue and beleive it or not, some of it is really quite tasteful. Other than that, I would imagine some of the glass merchants can supply you with dark tinted glass or even mirror style glass but you may have to ask around a bit

Good luck
S
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Francois
Professional
Professional

Re: Residential Window Tinting.

Post by Francois »

ozuncle wrote:Can anyone help with details of window tinting people.
Hi Ozuncle:

I have the same problem : when the sun goes up, I have an increase of temperature of 4 or 5 °C inside my house. My 1st idea was to get the same kind of dark film with mirror outside you may use on a car.

But, after having discussed with friends, it appears that the best solution could be to install a screen or a shutter outside that will protect the windows and, as a consequence, lower the temperature inside.

I'd like to check this last solution, i.e. feasability and costs...

Does anyone try this ?

François
And me, still the most self satisfied of men
I was almost as drunk as myself
(Jacques Brel)
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

Ozuncle,

If you don't find anyone to 'film it', we realised we shouldn't have put clear glass in our house and changed to a heavy tint and it was very cheap. Glass here, if normal thickness, is cheap cheap.
So won't do too much damage to your wallet.

SJ
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Super Joe wrote:Ozuncle,

If you don't find anyone to 'film it', we realised we shouldn't have put clear glass in our house and changed to a heavy tint and it was very cheap. Glass here, if normal thickness, is cheap cheap.
So won't do too much damage to your wallet.

SJ
I can second that, about the glass being very thin a gust of wind slammed one of doors shut and a small pain just broke into very sharp jagged pieces.
If you can find window tinting film it will probably cost more than the very cheap inferior glass, but the plus side too that, it will add an element of safety to it.
Kendo.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

Ozuncle, Try and contact the guys that the Motor Dealerships use to put the window tint onto the new cars.
In Australia I think companies like Solar Tint and the likes also do houses as well using the same tint film. I would advise against doing it yourself and you will probably end up with it lifting after a while, and I can assure you that it is not an easy job to get off if that happens.
Have a look in the yellow pages and see what you can find.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Always Borrow Money from a Pesimist. "They Never Expect it Back"
ozuncle
Guru
Guru

Post by ozuncle »

Thanks everyone.

It is big business over here with numerous companies doing not only cars but houses and commercial properties. ( as chelsea said.)
There are numerous advantages in some areas of the house having this film.

UV Protection. About 90%. Saves curtains and furniture fading.

Reduce glare by about 90%.

Heat reduction. Reduces temp by about 20%. Saves elect.

Privacy. Lighter curtain material required.

Frosted or decorative film. Attractive and deters kids (and adults from walking or running into glass panels.)

Safety. (as kendo said)

I thought it would be common in Thailand because of the climate.

I will ask the vehicle places next time I am over.

Thanks again.

You only live once.
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

I remember seeing in 'Observer' magazine an advert for houses built on Palm Hills, those strange boxy ones.

They were advertised as fitted with sunlight filtering windows. They weren't tinted as such so must been made of some other sort of filter.

I remember thinking that if I ever had a house built that I would contact the builder to find out where he aquired those sugary marvels... :shock:
www.35mmview.com
Winkie
Guru
Guru

Post by Winkie »

Finestra advertise that they provide both solar and security films for domestica pplications.

They have an office in Hua Hin.

See this link:--

http://www.finestra.co.th/index.htm

I'd be very greatful to have some feedback as I too and thinkning of adding to my house windoes, but haven't had time to investigate yet.

Agree that one of the significant benfits that can be gained, is some additional strenght to the glass in the event of a breakage.

If anyone visits to dicusss, would be very intersted to have some feedback

Thanks
Only the crumbliest, flakiest Winkie....
ozuncle
Guru
Guru

Post by ozuncle »

I decided to take SJ's advice and change all the glass in the windows and doors.

Take out old glass (Lightly tinted 3.5 mil) and replace with heavy black tinted 5 mil glass.

One day to cut the glass and one day to remove and fit the new glass.

Hastle free and CHEAP!

124 pieces.

Total price 37,700 baht.

I left the invoice in Thailand but the company is on Petch road.

Heading North, just before the big Honda sign on the right.

Thanks again everyone.

You only live once.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

Any recent advice on this topic?

I've decided I need some solar protection on the two big sliding windows in my condo. I don't think replacing the glass is practical. So, I'm looking for a professional installer of high quality window film.
mahdoo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mahdoo »

There is a new company based in Hua Hin who does just that, professional high quality imported solar window films. The company name is Kaiyo Window films : website: http://www.kaiyowindowfilms.com
Company is run by a nice guy who has 20+ years experience in the window film business in Europe.

I had the whole front of my townhouse done and it's great, made a good deal of difference in temperature during the day and now much nicer to look out of the windows, getting rid of all the glare and harsh light.