Old Photos of Hua hin

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Sabai Jai,

Well worth waiting for - thank you very much. I am looking forward to the next installment.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

Here are some more, thanks again SJ:

buksida

Post by buksida »

I've got an identical picture to that last one taken about a year ago ... where did all that concrete come from!

Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Wow, the difference in the two pics says alot!
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

Two words spring to mind, Bloody and Hell..... More great pics, thanks....
www.35mmview.com
Sabai Jai
Professional
Professional

Post by Sabai Jai »

These are not so old, the Two views from Khao Hin Lek Fai (bit hazy as always), and one from the beach probably taken approx 1990, Melia and Grand still under construction, difficult to make out but i think City beach is there.

Any body remember when the Melia (now Hilton) opened?

Regards
SJ
The understudy
Ace
Ace

Post by The understudy »

Hi there revered sabai Lai aand Buksida!!!

To comment those wonderfull Pics from SJ in german: "Wahnsinn einfach der Wahnsinn!!! :thumb:

Now slowly the Gap in Time is filling up from my last childhood visit in Hua Hin with my family in 1988/89 and my appearance again in Hua Hin in 1999 when I first entered Stamford University for a long stay in this Resort town in which I fell in Love with.

Migrant you are absolutely right. From SJ's and Buks's Panoramic Pics you can tell the diffrence. Geez! Hua Hin had changed.

To Y'all Nire Pics like that pleease?

Your's The understudy!!!!
In Love with Hua Hin since 19naughty9 and it ain't fading!!!
(My fable for All Things Japanese knows no boundaries!) Proud Student of Stamford University Hua Hin Campus from 1999 to 2004 (5th Batch of Graduates.)
“Once you survive Stamford U Hua Hin Campus only you can survive anything!!!”
Jim
Guru
Guru

Post by Jim »

Just an alternative perspective - to me it looks like it's changed much less than I expected. There's a few, but not many, more high rise on the beach and Market Village has popped up, but otherwise it's all pretty much the same. Maybe progress is all an illusion? Or best seen from street level.

One of my old guide books has a shot on the beach, looking down towards Takiab. No Buddha, no Chinese Temple, no La Mer...just a bare building site. And horses on the beach. I'll try and scan it at the weekend.
ดวงขึ้น
จิม
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida's comparison with Sabai Jai's photo is really amazing. Things are quite quiet here in work on the run down to Christmas, so I've been sat studying the 2 photos for quite a while.

I can not find one building on either photo that is on the other photo.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

All my moaning about how fast this town was growing is explained in the photos on this thread and i echo Lomu it was a lovely sleepy little fishing village i hope the pics keep coming :D :D :D
A Greatfull Guest of Thailand
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

We've now sat down as a team, and have identified 3 buildings (circled - if you can call my artwork circles - in black)on both photos - can anybody identify any more?

Points 48; Position 18
dtyolmn
Amateur
Amateur

Old photos of Hua Hin

Post by dtyolmn »

Great pictures. I wish I could have visited in the 50's or 60's. There's nothing like Thailand.
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Old Photos of Hua hin

Post by caller »

Thought I'd resurrect this old thread as I've scanned a few photos from a few years back. Not so old really, just back to 2000 - 2003. But a couple of photos do demonstrate some of the change that has taken place. I have a few more that I'll post when I fix my scanner!

This first photo is from January 2000 and taken from the City Beach hotel overlooking the Police Station and looking towards the junction of Damnoern Kasem and Phetchkasem Roads.

This was taken around mid-day looking down Naebkhehars Road towards Phetchkasem Road, where they meet at the Temple, taken from either the junction with Chomsin or Dechanuchit Roads. I always remember the dogs dawdling everywhere then. Not a lot of traffic either!

This next one was taken from my room at the Grand Hotel in 2003. Not so sure the same view still exists? Note the night market being set up, which if I recall rightly, only operated on a Thursday then?

I doubt this next scene has changed much? The original night market being set up, thought I'd catch the MIB on his bike as I looked towards the setting sun:

This view wouldn't have changed much either. The view from my room at what was then The Melia Hotel, before it got swallowed up by The Hilton. From 2000.

The view from Takiap looking towards the fishing boats in the creek. Has this changed? Again, from 2000.

Looking towards the Melia from the fiishing pier, in 2000.

And finally, a beach scene from 2000. To the right of the beach entrance.

Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Apart from the fact there aren't so many people now, they've just restored your last photo :D .

Seriously, always great to see old photos. Even though yours aren't so old, there are some huge changes.

Points 48; Position 18
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Thanks, caller. These photos remind me of the Hua Hin I moved to from Bangkok in early 2002.