lamenting the lack of church

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

lamenting the lack of a church

Post by margaretcarnes »

Yes Redzone - my Mum had a lucky escape when she was pregnant in the 40's and managed to keep me a secret from many. The only option in those days was adoption but fortunately we now have a very good relationship and its water under the bridge. Totally off topic I know, but I do think that young mums now are maybe encouraged too much to keep their babies. IVF is much more fashionable (and expensive and traumatic) than adoption. :thumb:
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
niggle
Guru
Guru

Post by niggle »

I note the OP saying he was atracted to CofE. Bear in mind though that the Archbishop of Canterbury is a muslim
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Church

Post by lindosfan1 »

I have refrained from posting on this thread but been reading it.
1. If it is so important to have a church why have you moved to a predominately Bhuddist country. What would you do in Iraq
2.Catholic church to be fair the majority of catholic priests are probably OK, but any church that protects the priests rather than the children or nuns that is not religion.
3. Church of England founded by a King who beheaded some of his wives.
Also in the 1960's the was a street in the east end of London called cable street full of brothels and criminals the landlord C of E
4 American god channels mostly a load of freaks out to make a quick buck but the profess to be christians
5 Muslims currently the most militant religion bombings suicide bombings led by fanatical zealots.
6, Are the the christians innocent look at the crusades, knights of st.John through the years endless mindless killings by christians.
7. More deaths have been created by wars bases on religion (excluding WW2) although the holocaust had religious leanings.
When in the UK I worked with several people who were supposedely religious.
A. A born again christian who was a verbal bully male
B. A woman who very kind to white people but fanaticly racist.
C. A couple what ever the conversation would try to steer it round to you coming to their mormon church.
The were fanatics in a minor way
Conclusion
Religion is a personal thing do not try to impress your views on others (does not happen here on this thread)
If you are not happy because you cannot get the exact church service you want should you have moved here. I miss certain things in the UK but when I thought about emigrating I took that into account.
Yes believe, it does help some people but until someone can convince me there is such a thing as a god I remain unconvinced proof if there was a god, would there have been
Black death, earthquakes, debilitating diseases,tsunamis,plagues
The list could be endless. In fact the topic is endless due to the fanatics of all religions this world has been at war in one place or another continuously.
Bhuddists never heard of them starting a war may be wrong but perhaps that is the answer. Bhuddism
Sorry if I have offended anyone but I felt like a good rant :)
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
Chas
Banned
Banned

love

Post by Chas »

I will answer #1 as I have already made myself clear on any of the other points you make that matter to me at all or to this purpose of this thread.

I moved here to be with the one I love. :D :D :D
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

Bhuddists never heard of them starting a war
Japan - Tokugawa Shogunate period (abt 1600) - Shogunate bans Christianity......the Shimabara Rebellion was the response.....result: Buddhists wipe out the Christians. Later conflicts on a much smaller scale. Later in history Buddhist monks openly declare war on Shogunate forces bent on controlling them.

id also throw Sri Lanka's current troubles into the pot....the Buddhist clergy there fire the conflict between the Sri Lanka government and the Tamils in the north.

when it comes to wars of religion seems everyone's hands are bloody....
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I was going to post these on the jokes forum, but this thread somehow seems more appropriate.

Whatever you believe, they are truly priceless.

Thank God for church ladies with word-processors!

These sentences appeared in church bulletins or were announced in church services (Summer, 2007 Release).

------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -
The Fasting & Prayer Conference includes meals.
The sermon this morning: "Jesus Walks on the Water."
The sermon tonight: "Searching for Jesus."
------------ -------- ------ ------------ --------- --------- --
Our youth basketball team is back in action Wednesday at 8 PM in the recreation hall.
Come out and watch us kill Christ the King.
Ladies, don't forget the rummage sale. It's a chance to get rid of those things not worth keeping around the house.
Bring your husbands.
The peacemaking meeting scheduled for today has been canceled due to a conflict.
Remember in prayer the many who are sick of our community.
Smile at someone who is hard to love.
Say "Hell" to someone who doesn't care much about you.
------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
Don't let worry kill you off - let the Church help.
Miss Charlene Mason sang "I will not pass this way again," giving obvious pleasure to the congregation.
---- ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- ------
For those of you who have children and don't know it, we have a nursery downstairs.
---------- -- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -
Next Thursday there will be tryouts for the choir. They need all the help they can get.
The Rector will preach his farewell message, after which the choir will sing: "Break Forth Into Joy."
Irving Benson and Jessie Carter were married on October 24 in the church.
So ends a friendship that began in their school days.
At the evening service tonight, the sermon topic will be "What Is Hell?"
Come early and listen to our choir practice.
Eight new choir robes are currently needed due to the addition of several new members and to the deterioration of some older ones.
Scouts are saving aluminum cans, bottles and other items to be recycled.
Proceeds will be used to cripple children.
Please place your donation in the envelope along with the deceased person you want remembered.
The church will host an evening of fine dining, super entertainment and gracious hostility.
------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- -
Potluck supper Sunday at 5:00 PM - prayer and medication to follow..
------------ --------- --------- ------------ ------ ---------
The ladies of the Church have cast off clothing of every kind.
They may be seen in the basement on Friday afternoon.
------------ ------ --- --------- ----- ------ ------------ -----
This evening at 7 PM there will be a hymn singing in the park across from the Church.
Bring a blanket and come prepared to sin.
Ladies Bible Study will be held Thursday morning at 10 AM .
All ladies are invited to lunch in the Fellowship Hall after the B.S. is done.
The pastor would appreciate it if the ladies of the congregation would lend him their electric girdles for the pancake breakfast next Sunday.
------------ --------- --------- --------- -----
Low Self Esteem Support Group will meet Thursday at 7 PM. Please use the back door.
The eighth-graders will be presenting Shakespeare' s Hamlet in the Church basement Friday at 7 PM.
The congregation is invited to attend this tragedy.
Weight Watchers will meet at 7 PM at the First Presbyterian Church.
Please use the large double door at the side entrance.
The Associate Minister unveiled the church's new tithing campaign slogan last Sunday : "I Upped My Pledge - Up Yours"
This is the way
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

shogun

Post by lindosfan1 »

The rōjū (老中) were the senior members of the shogunate. They supervised the ōmetsuke, machibugyō, ongokubugyō and other officials, oversaw relations with the Imperial Court in Kyoto, kuge (members of the nobility), daimyo, Buddhist temples and Shinto shrines, and attended to matters like divisions of fiefs. Normally, four or five men held the office, and one was on duty for a month at a time on a rotating basis. They conferred on especially important matters. In the administrative reforms of 1867, the office was eliminated in favor of a bureaucratic system with ministers for the interior, finance, foreign relations, army, and navy.

The shogunate were not true Bhuddists they had to be descended from one family. As to Sri Lanka the Tamil tigers are the terrorists the monks i doubt very much encourage killing the. No true Bhuddist would kill another person however there is always the odd bad one.
No history of violence from Thai Bhuddists though
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

is always the odd bad one
when I was in Sri Lanka mate I saw a lot more than the "odd bad one" on the streets of Columbo agitating for all out war on the Tamils. I also saw a disturbing BBC documentary filmed in a Sri Lankan monastery which showed how deep the clergy are involved with the war politics. It was mainly younger monks, but even the Abbott said stuff that chilled me and made me wonder how deeply he believed in Buddhism.

The Buddhist monks in Japan were a fractious lot who kicked off at least two distinct series of conflicts in the 1600s and 1700s ..... one against the Christians and one against the state itself. At one point monks "invaded" Edo, the old capital, and caused no end of chaos .... they even carried shrines into battle with them. One of the greatest Jidai heroes was a monk called Benkei. The two samurai family histories I have..."Tales of the Tiara" and "Tales of the Tokugawa" are full of references to the religious wars.

No religion's hands are clean.....true tho the Thai Buddhists never seem to have initiated any conflicts......
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

church

Post by lindosfan1 »

Sanman
I take your point but who initiated thes wars.
Sri Lanka the tamil tigers have murdered many. The Bhuddist monks protesting and wanting all out war against them I agree a bit extreme but they did not initiate the troubles.
As to Japan Bhuddhism was taken over and adapted by the Japanese particularly Zen. I admit my knowledge on this is slim, but the Bhuddists in Japan were not true Bhuddists.
Also I am not defending any religion but two things said on this thread was Jockeys p[ost about the catholic church vitriolic but true and I agree with him
The second post is I think by you when you said you went to the beach and god was everywhere. I can see the meaning in that and the solace gained.
bozzman101
Guru
Guru

Post by bozzman101 »

http://www.dotsub.com/films/moredemands ... ng=en_1618

look at this the muzzie are rampant in the uk!!!!!!!!!!!
Once you go Asian you will never go Caucasian !!
Chas
Banned
Banned

gone to hell

Post by Chas »

Well, as the OP here, I would say that interesting as all this might be, the thread has gone all to hell. We are many miles away from my original intent.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Re: love

Post by VincentD »

Chas wrote:I moved here to be with the one I love. :D :D :D
That says it all.

Cheers, Chas
วินเชนท์
Farang
Ace
Ace

Post by Farang »

The church goes to Hell, the services go to Hell and now the thread goes to Hell,,,, is there a trend, here?

Children between the ages 4 - 7 have imaginary friends. So do obviously many adults, who otherwise are considered sane.
"There's no plausible or convincing reason, certainly no evidential one, to believe that there is such an entity (= deity) and that all observable phenomena, including the cosmological ones... are explicable without the hypothesis; you don't need the assumption."
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Yes, we're perhaps not the ideal people to ask for advice about church services. I think all that stuff about the 18th century shogunate was about as off thread as we've ever been.
ozchris
Novice
Novice

Catholic Church Service Times Christmas

Post by ozchris »

Hi

I will be in Hua Hin this Christmas can someone tell me what times the Christmas services are..Is there Midnight Mass and Morning Mass.?

Thanks