Water tanks

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
deptrai

Water tanks

Post by deptrai »

I'm not yet living in Thailand. Can someone explain to me the whole water tank thing? The rental villas I've looked at have water tanks. What is their purpose? How are they filled? How are they drained? Is the water stored inside these tanks suitable for drinking (not that I would), showering and washing dishes? Do these tanks need to be cleaned periodically?
If needed, what is the recommended size for a villa with 3 residents? I say 3, because my wife uses twice a normal person :(

Thanks.
Big Boy

Re: Hua Hin water shortage

Post by Big Boy »

I'm no expert, but as there are no other answers, I will give you my 'non-technical' version of what I think happens.

The tank is placed between the water supply and the house. It fills naturally when the water supply is working until a stop valve mechanism decides it is full. Meanwhile, any water you use in the house flows from the tank (mine uses a water pump). As water comes out, the stop valve lets more in from the water supply e.g. in these times of restricted water, your tank may refill whilst you are asleep.

The water is simply from your water supply e.g. City or Pranburi, and as such, I would not recommend drinking.

Any sediment falls to the bottom of the tank, and whilst not affecting your water, should be cleaned periodically.

The bigger, the better IMHO. Mine is underground and measures 8mtr x 4mtr x 2 mtr - no, we've never had a water supply problem :D
Championship Millwall 1 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
deepee
Guru
Guru

Post by deepee »

deptrai wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:43 am I'm not yet living in Thailand. Can someone explain to me the whole water tank thing? The rental villas I've looked at have water tanks. What is their purpose? How are they filled? How are they drained? Is the water stored inside these tanks suitable for drinking (not that I would), showering and washing dishes? Do these tanks need to be cleaned periodically?
If needed, what is the recommended size for a villa with 3 residents? I say 3, because my wife uses twice a normal person :(

Thanks.
Generally speaking water tanks act as a back up to the irregular reticulated or piped supplied system.At certain times demand outstrips supply as is the case at the moment so the authorities cut distribution on a rotational basis, sometimes with the water being off for days.Tanks water can then be used.
Also having tanks allows for a pump to be fitted to the ready supply of the tanks , very necessary if you happen to be upstairs in a multi level place.

Now regarding maintenance yes the tanks do need to be cleaned out sometimes as bacterial growth inevitability takes place in the warm climate.
This draining and flushing out has a risk of legionella disease, so wear a suitable mask and gloves and DO NOT enter the tank. Placing the tanks in a shade protected area reduces algal build up by the way .
So drinking the very suspect quality water straight out of the tanks could be risky . Water purifiers can solve this issue but beware some units can over do their job. You could end up with water so pure you will need to keep an eye out on your health as vital minerals can be stripped from your body.
Complexity is so simply overrated
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:40 am I'm no expert, but as there are no other answers, I will give you my 'non-technical' version of what I think happens.
Thank you for that deepee. I am very unknowledgeable in these things, and didn't realise some tanks are used purely for stand-alone storage. I just assumed all tanks were a mini-personal reservoir that sat between the water supply and house. I've learnt something today :D.

Points 48; Position 21
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It all depends upon the city water pressure if you can bypass a tank and pump set up. Some city water systems at times of the day is little more than a trickle and in no way can power itself into a house even to the first floor.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, we have a water pump by-pass function, but we rarely use it. Just use the pump and everything remains fairly constant.

[Edit] Our neighbours next door have a similar set-up, and constantly complain about lack of pressure because they by-pass their water pump.

Points 48; Position 21
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Lack of mains water pressure aside, the amount of crap that comes with it should make you ensure that the water ALWAYS goes first into some form of storage, preferably under ground, so that there will always be some chance of getting topped up, and the crap can settle out.

Note: apart from being illegal, which in Thailand does not amount to much, a house pump should NEVER be connectd directly to the mains supply!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Nereus wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:05 am Note: apart from being illegal, which in Thailand does not amount to much, a house pump should NEVER be connectd directly to the mains supply!
Maybe my non-tech description, but our pump is between the tank and the house i.e. all water goes via the tank, except for one hose tap in the car port, which is before the tank. I'm not sure how the by-pass facility works, but it is very poor, hence we don't use it. Our neighbours are more intent on saving electricity, claiming the electric costs more than the water. That has to be a given, if they aren't getting any water through.

Points 48; Position 21
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Maybe my non-tech description, but our pump is between the tank and the house i.e. all water goes via the tank,
Yes, that is the correct method.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Nereus wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:05 am Note: apart from being illegal, which in Thailand does not amount to much, a house pump should NEVER be connectd directly to the mains supply!
I remember that some years ago there were water supply problems in Hua Hin and some large hotels were found to be illegally doing that, they were maintaining their own supply with pumps but causing pressure drops that meant properties on higher ground were getting nothing.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I have a setup like BB with a huge underground tank. The outlet from the tank to the pump should be off the floor somewhat as that ensures the silt will settle below the outlet. Logically, the water being pumped from the tank should be cleaner than direct supply as much of the crap in the mains supply settles at the bottom of the tank.

Like BB, I've never had a water problem in the 20 years since the house was built.
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:40 amMine is underground and measures 8mtr x 4mtr x 2 mtr - no, we've never had a water supply problem :D
Wow, that's huge! 64 cubic metres, is that a common size? The houses I've lived in had tanks of only a few thousand litres, and I always thought that was the norm.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Ralfredo wrote:
Big Boy wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:40 amMine is underground and measures 8mtr x 4mtr x 2 mtr - no, we've never had a water supply problem :D
Wow, that's huge! 64 cubic metres, is that a common size? The houses I've lived in had tanks of only a few thousand litres, and I always thought that was the norm.
I guess it’s better to have one too big than too small and even if 64 cu mt is on the big size, it means you’re not going to run out of water barring a major issue.

This is my underground tank during construction - at my old house we had a 2000l tank for house water and 4000 for the garden, which was 99% adequate!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Ralfredo wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:13 pm
Not surprising that there is a water shortage in Hua Hin; it is all in Big Boys tank! :shock:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:oops:

Points 48; Position 21