Gas bottle dispute

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
hidinginhin
Amateur
Amateur

Gas bottle dispute

Post by hidinginhin »

I have just returned from the Hua Hin Tourist Police office. I went there to resolve a dispute between myself and Bon Kai Gas, near to the night market on soi 88. My gas ran out and I called them to replace it. Last year they took away my empty bottle which was brand new and replaced it with a very dodgy, rusty old gas bottle. When the guy came with the tank he said it was the wrong brand and left. He did not return so we called again. He said the brand was too old and they would not take it back. It will cost 1600 baht for a replacement. So I went to the tourist police to get it resolved. The cop called said he was police and handed the phone over to my thai other half. A 15 minute conversation ensued. When the phone call ended she informed how the conversation went.firstly he said "why you go police about price, we charge 480 to falang and 380 to thai" she explained it had nothing to do with the price. Secondly he said " I am police, what you going to do about it". We decided that we were not going to get anywhere. Before leaving I said to the tourist police who are non commissioned and the real cop that all the rhetoric about building relationships and trust was just empty words and left. My advice to you all is to check any replacement gas or oxygen bottle is fit for purpose. Because the above will happen if you accept a dodgy bottle. :cuss:
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Re: Gas bottle dispute

Post by VincentD »

Have had this happen before. Learn from it and try not to use the same place.
In Bangkok, I have found one vendor who only uses PTT brand new cylinders, so is the only one I patronise. I also bring my gas bottle to the shop and exchange it there. Do not trust the motorcycle delivery people, and reject the old rusty replacement on the spot if you see it.

Another thing to note. The people who run these gas bottle exchange places are usually short-changing you by not filling them up to full capacity. I have seen this first-hand when I was staying with a friend in rural Chonburi. The local shop had dodgy bottles and I wasn't about to lose another one, so I went to the place where they refill the bottles - they will do it for you on the spot and you will get the full weight. The shops come with truckloads of these bottles and the weights on the auto refill machines are reduced to that of the shop.

These places are usually one of the LPG stations that do automobile gas, the one I used to go to was right behind one of them.

Note that these gas bottles have a life of 7 years, the date of manufacture is usually stamped on the bottle..
วินเชนท์
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

VincentD wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:54 pm I went to the place where they refill the bottles - they will do it for you on the spot and you will get the full weight. The shops come with truckloads of these bottles and the weights on the auto refill machines are reduced to that of the shop.

These places are usually one of the LPG stations that do automobile gas, the one I used to go to was right behind one of them.

Note that these gas bottles have a life of 7 years, the date of manufacture is usually stamped on the bottle..
This is what we do here in Bang Saphan, bring our bottle to a refilling station and get it filled on the spot, takes 10 minutes.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Thailand is a culture of corruption. My Thai wife says: "Trust no one."
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Play these people at their own game. Leave your old, rusty gas bottle in a conspicuous place, and hope someone comes along and steals it. :twisted: Seems to be quite a common phenomenon if the morning news is anything to go by. Once it goes missing, report it as stolen to the police, get your wife to do it. :naughty:
วินเชนท์
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

We had the same problem when we moved from our rural house 20km from Hua Hin to Nakhon Pathom. No problems there with rather tired looking bottles, but when we brought one up here no-one would take it. We had to buy a newer one and the old one is sitting behind our house. A useless piece of metal. I wonder if I could sell it to one of the 'metal buyers' that come by?

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

VincentD wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:45 pm Play these people at their own game. Leave your old, rusty gas bottle in a conspicuous place, and hope someone comes along and steals it. :twisted: Seems to be quite a common phenomenon if the morning news is anything to go by. Once it goes missing, report it as stolen to the police, get your wife to do it. :naughty:
My wife is from Glamorgan, they won't understand her?

(joke)
hidinginhin
Amateur
Amateur

Post by hidinginhin »

Just to let you know how the story ended. I had a chat with a friendly security guard on our complex. He took the gas bottle to another gas supplier. I now have a full, regular gas bottle installed.
It still cost 480 but I was happy to dodge the bullet and the 100 baht is ok.
Be aware this is a scam that Bon Kai gas are trying on to falang. The tourist police were no use, against I registered cop.
p.s He said he was, but was he! The cop didn't question it so I suppose he was. :guns:
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Pm migrant to find out where he fills up his gas bottle. It's cheaper and you get the full weight. Also do a survey around you if you're too far away from him. and get the other gas supplier's number from your friendly security guard. And give him a small tip, it's always appreciated, especially given what these guys are paid.
วินเชนท์
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

....................we charge 480 to falang and 380 to thai"
Can't help themselves, can they! :guns:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: RE: Re: Gas bottle dispute

Post by hhinner »

Nereus wrote:
....................we charge 480 to falang and 380 to thai"
Can't help themselves, can they! :guns:
Hmm, a less than reputable establishment owned by a so called cop. Who would have thought?