Alcohol ban on Hua Hin and Thai beaches?

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Alcohol ban on Hua Hin and Thai beaches?

Post by HHTel »

I saw a pic yesterday on another forum so can't provide a link. However it was a photo of a newly erected sign stating in English and Thai "Do not drink or distribute alcohol". The pic is claimed to have been taken on the beach in Hua Hin under a heading stating that Hua Hin police getting tough.
Anyone know of this?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: Alcohol ban on Hua Hin and Thai beaches?

Post by STEVE G »

I didn't see a sign there yesterday but might have been distracted by dead fish, I'll have a look out tomorrow.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I won't be going near the Centara, but I'll be down there soon. If I see anything, I'll take a photo.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

What about a pic nick at the beach with your cool box plenty of alcoholic drinks ?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've just come back from my usual Soi 75 to Marakesh walk. No sign of any such signs on that stretch.

I'm not saying it is this time, but we have to remember that some other forums are notorious for their fake news. Hopefully Steve can confirm one way or another tomorrow.

Points 41; Position 18
OldMan_SE
Novice
Novice

Post by OldMan_SE »

The ban was also mentioned in Hua Hin Expat news today with a picture of the sign near the Centara Hotel.

[Mod Edit] Links to rival sites removed.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

No public announcements, no legal fine/penalty mentioned. So probably just a 'request' for the period of the cremation.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

I saw the same sign on a trip along the coast just south of Au Manao on a little beach we loved that had a small bar and a couple of shacks for food. Now due to the beach clearing the place is totally deserted. OK if that’s what you want, but spoilt it for us and many local businesses. So we continued to Bang Krut which was nice, but not as ‘Special’
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm still interested to hear Steve's report from his beach visit today.

IMHO the sign that everybody is talking about might have been photoshopped into the picture. The sign legs don't look right for a beach sign, and there's a flash of white above the sign that doesn't look right.

Points 41; Position 18
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:19 am I'm still interested to hear Steve's report from his beach visit today.

IMHO the sign that everybody is talking about might have been photoshopped into the picture. The sign legs don't look right for a beach sign, and there's a flash of white above the sign that doesn't look right.
I walked from the temple at Khao Takiap to the beach entrance at the Sofitel and back again this morning and saw no sign of any signs, ( if that makes sense!). I looked at a range of signs by the entrance but there was nothing about alcohol.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks Steve, I suspected fake news from the start. Some of the other forums are notorious for it.

Points 41; Position 18
Thaihawk
Novice
Novice

Post by Thaihawk »

I just came across this topic and I happen to have a little inside info that can clear up this mystery. There was a sign for a day that said no drinking alcohol on the beach. My Thai wife is a teacher and she is doing a special project teaching the police some English. They asked her about this sign. Apparently, they wanted to say no selling alcohol and suggest that people don't drink on the beach. She told them that there isn't any way to suggest not drinking that won't be totally confusing for tourists. They decided to remove the sign and change it. Apparently they will be trying to stop vendors from selling alcohol on the beach (we'll see if they actually do this or not) but it isn't against any law to bring your own and drink on the beach.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Thaihawk wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:04 am I just came across this topic and I happen to have a little inside info that can clear up this mystery. There was a sign for a day that said no drinking alcohol on the beach. My Thai wife is a teacher and she is doing a special project teaching the police some English. They asked her about this sign. Apparently, they wanted to say no selling alcohol and suggest that people don't drink on the beach. She told them that there isn't any way to suggest not drinking that won't be totally confusing for tourists. They decided to remove the sign and change it. Apparently they will be trying to stop vendors from selling alcohol on the beach (we'll see if they actually do this or not) but it isn't against any law to bring your own and drink on the beach.
Thanks for the explanation.

So it's as I suggested: a police advisory only, not law.

And not 'fake news', that go-to kneejerk reaction. :D
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've still got some very big doubts. However, we'll all have an opinion.

Advisory or law, it has probably already damaged Hua Hin with so many publications jumping on the band wagon. The entire piece still stinks of fake news IMHO.

Points 41; Position 18
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

So Thaihawk is telling porkies?