Police corruption, drug tested in Hua Hin

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Naki
Novice
Novice

Police corruption, drug tested in Hua Hin

Post by Naki »

I am in Hua Hun for a month at present have been here a week so have 3 to go.
Last night I went to pickup my girlfriend from the train station and was pulled over by police.
They breathalyzer me and told me to take a drug pee test. I could not pee as had gone just before so they took me to the police station constantly telling me to admit to taking drugs.i do not take drugs and know for a fact there is none in my system.
They told me when I was struggling to pee that if I did not they would take me to hospital to test I would fail and they would jail me I said I would go hospital but they then took me to the police station instead for 2 hours I kept drinking water trying to owe until eventually I could the whole time they kept pressuring me into admitting something I had not done. They also told my girlfriend to tell me to just admit it and they would sort something out.
When I was finally able to go they did the test and told me I failed I took a photo at this point and sent it to a lawyer I know.

When they asked me who I sent thebphoto to and I said a lawyer they released me shortly after but took my name and told me they and other police will be watching me.

Is there anything I can do to cover myself in case they try to set me up what is my best options here I am 100% drug free
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Re: Police corruption

Post by europtimiste »

Naki wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:32 am I am in Hua Hun for a month at present have been here a week so have 3 to go.
Last night I went to pickup my girlfriend from the train station and was pulled over by police.
They breathalyzer me and told me to take a drug pee test. I could not pee as had gone just before so they took me to the police station constantly telling me to admit to taking drugs.i do not take drugs and know for a fact there is none in my system.
They told me when I was struggling to pee that if I did not they would take me to hospital to test I would fail and they would jail me I said I would go hospital but they then took me to the police station instead for 2 hours I kept drinking water trying to owe until eventually I could the whole time they kept pressuring me into admitting something I had not done. They also told my girlfriend to tell me to just admit it and they would sort something out.
When I was finally able to go they did the test and told me I failed I took a photo at this point and sent it to a lawyer I know.

When they asked me who I sent thebphoto to and I said a lawyer they released me shortly after but took my name and told me they and other police will be watching me.

Is there anything I can do to cover myself in case they try to set me up what is my best options here I am 100% drug free
You must be suspicious.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Naki...Ignore the idiot remark above from the Forum prat!!

I would advise you to get and independent urine test from a local hospital ASAP. Tell them your problem and they may be able to help.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Naki...Ignore the idiot remark above from the Forum prat!!
:thumb: :cheers:
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Ask the lawyer you sent the photo to.
nil
Professional
Professional

Post by nil »

Just try and forget about it. They were obviously after a bribe but you did the correct things and scared them off when you mentioned the lawyer. If you really did want to pursue it there is an anti corruption hotline but as they released you without charges and you are only here a few weeks I don't think its worth it.
Naki
Novice
Novice

Re: Police corruption, drug tested in Hua Hin

Post by Naki »

Talking to my girlfriend who spent half the day crying over this they basically told her to convince me to say I take drugs and they will give her money. And then said they will get me again and next time I won't get away does anyone know a good criminal lawyer in here i would like to go get his services and a number in case they pull me up again
And I will go tomorrow to get a drug test at the hospital would prefer to have a lawyer there with me to watch it
PBbeacher
Professional
Professional

Post by PBbeacher »

You could try speaking to Ex-Pat Pro law firm on the main road near the fly-over.
Were these 'regular BIB' or the (even) more sinister variety?
Naki
Novice
Novice

Post by Naki »

Regular bib had issues before with being pulled over and wanting money but never to the level of trying to get me to confess to a crime I haven't committed. As for anti corruption I don't really want to go that way because for the past 7 years about half my time I am in thailand living here. It was why I am down in Hua hin at the moment finally looking to buy a place over here make things a little easier but after this thinking I will stick with koh chang
PBbeacher
Professional
Professional

Post by PBbeacher »

I have been in HH about 6 years and never had or heard of this happening, not saying it doesn't. Have heard of it more in BKK. Pretty surprised it happened to you where it did to be honest.
Naki
Novice
Novice

Post by Naki »

Yeh it is why I was looking at Hua hihin m to live always thought this was a bit cleaner and safer than the other areas surprised the hell out of me.
Never felt unsafe or worries in thailand before but the cops threat that he was going to pull me back in and this time I won't be releases to my girlfriend is worrying
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Just out of curiosity, are you quite a young expat, 20s or 30s? I only know of one occasion in Hua Hin where the BIB drug tested a few people in the Bintabaht area, but it seemed like they were singling out younger guys, including a young Irish mate of mine who was wise enough to film the entire encounter, including him peeing into a cup. :shock:

Personally, I would have made a point of getting the names of the officers involved; I would get tested at a hospital, and then I would report the officers involved. Oh, and I would immediately change address if I had given them my address, just in case.

Depending on how proactive you are or want to be, social media can be a big help as well, as can reporting the event to various news outlets.

Having said all of that, I am pleased to say that I have never had any reason to complain about the police in all the years I have been living here. To the contrary, I have always found them to be a rather pleasant bunch.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Naki
Novice
Novice

Post by Naki »

I am in my mid 30s so not that young these days but I do not even go to the bars here anymore been with the missus for awhile that was the first night I have been out late in Hua hin and was only to pick her up from train station.
I do look the type I suppose but that has never worried me before because I am clean and figur3d I had nothing to fear this was the first and hopefully only time it happens but they really gave me the impression they would set me up.
Naki
Novice
Novice

Post by Naki »

I would rather not report it as i had a friend in a similar situation a few years ago report the incident and the death threats and harassment he got after that report made him leave thailand. But I am looking to protect myself from further harassment
l112a6

Post by l112a6 »

I was stopped and drug tested last month when passing through the Chinese cemetery alone on the way to Big C at 3PM. (8 police officers at the checkpoint) Naturally a bit sceptical about it, but I had nothing to hide, gave a sample after initially being reluctant, and was free to go after the test passed. I called my girlfriend while it was being tested so someone was aware.

My advise would be to keep your head down for a while, Avoid all known checkpoint areas where possible. Get the number of your countries Embassy on your phone to 1. call if any issues, 2. to use to scare them off. Also a number for a lawyer or a friend/contact in the police or immigration police would help.