Hin Lek Fai Monkeys

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Big Boy

Re: Hin Lek Fai Monkeys

Post by Big Boy »

I would suspect (obviously don't know) the poor young girl might have inadvertently provoked the monkey. I know it doesn't help the girl, but these monkeys are generally quite safe to walk amongst. However, if you're carrying food amongst monkeys, then they will naturally fight you for it. Don't forget, she was in an area where people feed monkeys - how was it to know she wasn't carrying monkey food? A young child (plus many adults) might panic, causing the monkey to fight back.

The key word is wild - they haven't been taught manners. Before visitors get out of my car, I make sure they leave everything that might interest a monkey behind. Yesterday's monkey sitting on my lap to drive the car was exceptional, but there was nothing in the car to attract him either.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Or she may just have been holding a peanut, these are wild animals not to be played with.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Hin Lek Fai Monkeys; sounds like a Thai rock band.
Sabai Jai
Professional
Professional

Post by Sabai Jai »

I am told that the monkeys in Hua Hin area are crab-eating macaque (Macaca fascicularis). At quiet times you can see them diving and swimming in the sea at Khao Takiab. They can pull the shellfish off the rocks with their very strong fingers. They annoy the fishermen on the creek behind the mountain by ripping the bundles of nets to get at the crab. They will however eat almost anything. I have heard that the Hin Lek Fai troup may occasionally come into town at very quiet times, around dawn for example. I actually saw one (large male) near the Hilton in March - and no, although there is occasionally a resemblance to customers there, I don't think he had been drinking on Soi Bintabaht.
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

Post by T.I.G.R. »

We purchased a house in 2005 that sits directly under the viewpoint. We sold the house in 2007 but we never saw monkeys then at all, even on the few trips we took up to the viewpoint. The only place I've seen more than one monkey in town is on the old golf course by the railway station......I saw a single monkey a few years ago at Palm Hills golf course on the 10th tee and I have to admit making a serious mistake. As I was walking by about fifteen feet from the monkey I bared my teeth and hissed at him.........I was joking but he was giving some serious thought to jumping on me when, in turn, he bared his teeth. You will know very quickly when you have made a monkey mad, and I won't ever even think about doing something that stupid again. Anyway, it seems kind of a shame that they would overrun the view point.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Sabai Jai wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:26 pm I am told that the monkeys in Hua Hin area are crab-eating macaque (Macaca fascicularis). At quiet times you can see them diving and swimming in the sea at Khao Takiab. They can pull the shellfish off the rocks with their very strong fingers. They annoy the fishermen on the creek behind the mountain by ripping the bundles of nets to get at the crab. They will however eat almost anything. I have heard that the Hin Lek Fai troup may occasionally come into town at very quiet times, around dawn for example. I actually saw one (large male) near the Hilton in March - and no, although there is occasionally a resemblance to customers there, I don't think he had been drinking on Soi Bintabaht.
I have seen the large male many times around that area,siiting on a roof and wait for food,I think some of the restaurant see it as a good buisness that atraact custumer

:cheers: :cheers:
JayTee
Amateur
Amateur

Post by JayTee »

"I have seen the large male many times around that area,siiting on a roof and wait for food,I think some of the restaurant see it as a good buisness that atraact custumer"
hope it helps the resto rake in more business, else it's monkey's testicles on the menu and that would be a sure spinner :)