Hin Lek Fai Monkeys

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Big Boy

Hin Lek Fai Monkeys

Post by Big Boy »

I read a few weeks ago about plans to make Hin Lek Fai the main centre for monkeys. I just thought at the time that it might happen one day.

We've got visitors at the moment, so Hin Lek Fai is always on my first day 'city tour' excursion.

I stopped in the car park, and was greeted by about a dozen jumping monkeys on the car. I really like/have no fear of monkeys, and was thinking fantastic - what a great treat for our visitors. I got out of the car and started talking to them nicely - no aggression in my voice. Imagine my horror when one showed its teeth and lunged towards me, screeching. I got out of the way quite smartish. That happened 2 more times with different monkeys in quick time. Mrs BB and our eldest visitor locked themselves in the car, afraid to get out.

I went up to a couple of the view points with the remaining 2 visitors and looked as you do. I did the usual stuff - pointed out my house, showed them where they were staying and pointed out the various places we had been. The number of monkeys as we wandered about was phenomenal. My usual 'city tour' spiel is you might see a monkey at Hin Lek Fai if you are lucky. Now, it's a case of you might see a bit of the path, or the occasional blade of grass between the monkeys. OK, probably a slight exaggeration, but there are a lot.

Most of the monkeys just move out of your way, but the occasional one won't. Those that won't, screech, snarl and bare their teeth.

I have another set of visitors arriving next week, I will have to seriously consider taking Hin Lek Fai off the itinerary. I'm just wondering if anybody else has been there recently. How was it for you?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Re: Hin Lek Fai Monkeys

Post by buksida »

Those macaques are aggressive bastards, if you want to show your guests some well-behaved cuter monkeys try here: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=29485
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

My wife and I have noticed a distinct lack of monkeys on the continuation of Chomsin Road up to Khao Hin Lek Fai recently and wondered where they had all gone. You still see the odd one or two trying to get to the rubbish bins but I suspect that the people who live around there are quite glad that they've gone. Can we assume the monkeys must be getting fed on the hill top now?
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

I haven't been there recently but when I have visitors I often do a Wat Khao Takieb/Hin Lek Fai comparison excursion, going to see the aggressive monkeys at Takieb then the generally more placid ones at Lek Fai. My brother made a good educated guess that the ones at HLF are probably less aggressive the ones at Takieb because they've had less exposure to humans coming in and upsetting their surroundings.

If, when they say that they are planning to make HLF the main centre for monkeys, they mean make it into a tourist attraction prompting more visitors, I guess they'll over time become just as aggressive as the ones at Wat Khao Takieb
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

hhinner wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:32 pm My wife and I have noticed a distinct lack of monkeys on the continuation of Chomsin Road up to Khao Hin Lek Fai recently and wondered where they had all gone.
I don't think people are allowed to feed them any more (wall has been painted in many places saying this, or at least that's what I've been told), so I assume they've gone where they do get fed.
Pleng wrote:the aggressive monkeys at Takieb then the generally more placid ones at Lek Fai.
I've seen, and interacted with monkeys all over Thailand, and until today I've never encountered an aggressive one. Boisterous, yes, aggressive, no. I actually had one join me in the car at Khao Takiab today. It sat on my lap like a young kiddie and grabbed the steering wheel. My visitors left the car at a rate of knots, while I thought it was hilarious :D .

Points 41; Position 18
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

When did the monkeys come to Hin Lek Fai? There were none, when I liven on Chomsin btw 2002-08.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

There used to be a few, which you might be lucky enough to see ever since I've been going to Hua Hin, which encapsulates your dates BG i.e. you could go a dozen times and see them once. They've gradually increased in the last year or two, but what I saw yesterday, sort of indicates that they are shipping them in from elsewhere.

I didn't notice any real decrease at Khao Takiab yesterday, but maybe they're shipping them in from there after the neutering project. Maybe food isn't enough at Hin Lek Fai, making them more aggressive. Everywhere else in Thailand where I've encountered a lot of monkeys, there have been feeding stations. If they're not feeding them, they're going to pack their bags and move into the town seeking food. That's when the problem might begin.

Points 41; Position 18
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Big Boy, I would be extremely careful around any monkeys that snarl and show their teeth. When they attack, they are lightening fast and they can cause severe damage, not only from the actual bite, but also from the bacteria in their mouths.

When I was in the army, up on the Angolan border, two monkeys got out of their enclosure and two guys were severely bitten, with one almost having his kneecap torn out. They were hospitalised for about two weeks as a result, in part due to the bacteria I have mentioned.

I myself was nearly a third victim, and ever since that day, I am very weary of monkeys.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Don't worry, I am - they didn't get me :D

Seriously, I don't fear them, but I do respect them. If I take visitors anywhere, and they want to feed the monkeys, I brief them fully i.e. keep perfectly still - the monkeys are interested in the food, not you. Don't make any sudden movements as the monkey may consider it an attack on them. Any doubt whatsoever, just softly release your grip, and let the food fall to the floor - the monkey will follow the food.

At the end of the day, feeding the wild monkeys is something some visitors want to do.

I've asked for the experience of others recently at Hin Lek Fai because I am seriously thinking of knocking it off the itinerary. I want to know if yesterday was a one off, or whether others are having similar experiences. I take people there for the viewpoints, not to see monkeys. I know of other easily accessed viewpoints that are just as good. I'm not going to deliberately put myself or my visitors at risk.

If these monkeys are being relocated there from somewhere else, then the relocators need to ask themselves why there weren't that many monkeys living there before. There was only enough food to sustain a small population. If they don't feed them, there will be trouble.

Points 41; Position 18
moja
Guru
Guru

Post by moja »

Hin Lek Fai has always had monkeys and they are a nuisance they come down into our garden and do no end of damage and are not afraid when you try to scare them away. I even had them come into our bedroom and I had only turned my back at second. I used to like monkeys but now I cannot stand them. We have had to get rid of all fruit trees etc from our garden as they only attract them but unfortunately the garden behind us grows bananas which of course they love so come down for them. There is also a tree on the land next to use and that they love when it is flower. The thought of more monkey up at Hin Lek Fai just fills me with dread.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I didn't notice any real decrease at Khao Takiab yesterday, but maybe they're shipping them in from there after the neutering project.
I would agree 100% with that, Big Boy. Has anyone actually seen a vet or anybody else neutering a monkey at Kkao Takiab? Do they do it there, or take them away just to save face? (oops, I will now incur the rath of the rose coloured glasses brigade)
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The serious answer Nereus is the monkeys are being taken to Hua Hin Dog Pound, where vets are neutering them.

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

moja wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:14 am Hin Lek Fai has always had monkeys
I did say that, but it was rare to see them up near the observation platforms.

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Well, for an explosion in the population size of any wild animal, not just monkeys, it usually comes down to food and water. If the food supply where they are supports more animals they will stay and breed, if not enough food and water they will move.

Unless of course, they are forcibly moved, neutered or not. And the two places being discussed are not close enough to blame a natural migration. The display of aggression also indicates that they are looking for food, and perhaps used to getting handouts from people.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Always stay clear of the wild monkeys, they go for anything. Last year a young girl had her finger bitten of at Monkey Mountain
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali