Thailand floods of 2017

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
PeteC

Re: Thailand floods of 2017

Post by PeteC »

Let us know on Monday if this weekend was light on weekenders from Bangkok?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

Just gone through Petchaburi 10,00am, on route to Bkk.Both carriageways north and south bound still flooded,although traffic flowing freely with no substantial delay.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

A few publications are stating 4 to 5 more days until the water completely recedes from the highway. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It depends a lot on when the authorities close the sluice gates on the dam and that, of course, depends on reducing the levels to a safe margin.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yep, I rode through there the day after the deluge and it was dry, they've obviously opened the dam which has caused the flood water. It happens down our way too to prevent the reservoir bursting which would mean a lot more flood water!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

They have opened the dam. It's not an assumption. They've publicly stated it and the volume of water being discharged hourly. The last report I saw was for Thursday when it was reported the dam is releasing 350 cubic metres of water per second. Since Monday it's been released at 290 cubic metres a second and has been increased to force the floodwater to the gulf! (Not sure I fully understand that)
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

In the post made on Thursday:
PHETCHABURI: The Phetchaburi river has burst its banks, overflowing into the municipal area, wreaking havoc in the township and flooding the major highway linking to the southern region.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Gus
Guru
Guru

Post by Gus »

I think that I was rather fortunate, my Taxi passed through Phetchaburi about 6pm on Wednesday on my way to the airport. No water about at all at that time.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The Phetchaburi Dam was discharging more water from the Phetchaburi River to the four districts downstream after exceptionally heavy rainfall on Tuesday and Wednesday, Chaiyaphol Thitisak, director-generalof...
24th Nov:
https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/enviro ... ds-persist
The current flooding was caused by continuous rainfalls brought by depression Kirogi earlier this week. Rainfalls prompted Phet Dam to discharge water to Phetchaburi River, causing the water level to overflow.
24th Nov:
http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/phetbu ... ve-routes/
PETCHABURI, 22 November 2017 (NNT) – Petchaburi City Municipality has prepared to handle a huge volume of imminent floodwater and planned to provide shelter for flood victims.
Petch Dam is now discharging water from the reservoir to Petchaburi river at 350 cubic meter per second due to the amount of water from torrential rains earlier this week. The discharge rate exceeds the amount last year at 230 cubic meters per second that caused flooding in Petchaburi city.
http://thainews.prd.go.th/website_en/ne ... 1220010071
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Flooding eases in Phetchaburi

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... recent_box

The flooding situation in Phetchaburi is easing after the Phetchaburi River burst its banks on Thursday, submerging much of the province, including its municipality.

Wirat Penchan, director of the disaster prevention and mitigation provincial office, said on Sunday the floodwater in Muang district was decreasing after crews worked around the clock to drain the water to the river downstream.

Traffic on all roads including Phetkasem Road has improved, the official added.

The Traffic Police Twitter feed showed improved traffic flow on Phetkasem outside Big C, but its frontage lanes remained flooded.

The area outside the shopping centre was flooded after downpours on Wednesday night.

Mr Wirat said damage in all eight flooded districts will be assessed after conditions return to normal.

While the situation in Phetchaburi was improving, floods hit the southern region - including Songkhla, Phatthaluang and Nakhon Si Thammarat, where park officials decided to close six waterfalls in Khao Luang National Park.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I must admit that I'm not posting about floods in the south as comprehensively as I have about floods in our areas and the main part of the country, namely those that come down the Chao Phraya river. When I see an article about what's happening in the deep south I'll post a link readers can explore themselves. Pete :cheers:

Flooding across lower South, more rain forecast

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... n-forecast
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It seems the dam is now down to safe levels and the authorities stopped discharging water into the Petchaburi river on Friday.