Demolition of restaurants + shops in Poon Suk road

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: RE: Re: Demolition of restaurants + shops in Poon Suk road

Post by hhinner »

HuaHin61 wrote:
the old place (open-air) before building the colonade/east-square had been a good place to sit for dinner.
A real masterstroke getting rid of Sathukarn Square wasn't it? I'll bet the owner is really happy with the return on investment. Or maybe not.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Demolition of restaurants + shops in Poon Suk road

Post by margaretcarnes »

oakdale160 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:03 am Logical Absurdity-- that plan is not logical---- If there is a plan-- its to make HH dull and quiet, thats what the Visiting BKK Thais want.
Actually apart from the bit about motorbike gangs the plan WOULD make HH dull and quiet. A shrine in fact. It has already been noted that the market stalls along the south side temple wall have been cleared. Is it too bizarre to imagine that another temple entrance could be made there?
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Pagey wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 11:46 pm I was driving up Canal Road todaye going North and a couple of blocks before the traffic lights with the timer, on the right hand side, was a large poster in front of a shophouse saying 'Moon Smile & Platoo opening soon' so I presume it is their new location.

Poster removed a week ago.

:cheers: :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

margaretcarnes wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:12 am It has already been noted that the market stalls along the south side temple wall have been cleared.
Wow!!! That one passed me by. I don't go that way very often, but I'm down there Thursday, so I'll have to take a look.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:31 pm
margaretcarnes wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:12 am It has already been noted that the market stalls along the south side temple wall have been cleared.
Wow!!! That one passed me by. I don't go that way very often, but I'm down there Thursday, so I'll have to take a look.
They're still there. That intrigued me as well and as I was nearby earlier, I thought I'd go and have a look. I was there just as they were being set up.

The area where the restaurants were is very much work in progress. All remnants of the restaurants have been removed and three guy's present were clearly discussing the next stage. Hopefully, they will quickly improve what is an eyesore, as is, to my eyes. the derelict feel of soi55 and the front between the fishing pier and the Chinese temple. Incidentally, Hua Hin was well and truly empty.

Excuse poor phone pics taken into a bright sun.

Last edited by caller on Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

LOL, I see there are no toilet facilities either.

Points 41; Position 18
Gus
Guru
Guru

Post by Gus »

Moonsmile didn't have its own toilet but a couple of the eateries did have, where the waste went I dare to think. There are going to be a lot of disappointed Scandi couples come the high season, they idolised Moonsmile.

Has anything been demolished on Naresdamri since Sangthai next to the fishing pier?
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Gus wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:31 pmHas anything been demolished on Naresdamri since Sangthai next to the fishing pier?
No, but most shops, bars and restaurants are shut and look unsightly. The piers are all still open.
Talk is cheap
Gus
Guru
Guru

Post by Gus »

I only visit twice a year for a month at a time, but i find it very sad with the demolitions and beach chair/bed closures etc.

I suppose the powers that be are trying to do a Pattaya by making the front a locals and tourist area with the bars being encouraged to operate the other side of Petchkasem.
All being well I will be here next high season but probably only the once, additionally the pound seems in a perpetual decline. :)
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:11 pm LOL, I see there are no toilet facilities either.
Well spotted BB - I thought the guy at the back of the pic was having a pee as well!
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

Gus wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:39 am I only visit twice a year for a month at a time, but i find it very sad with the demolitions and beach chair/bed closures etc.

I suppose the powers that be are trying to do a Pattaya by making the front a locals and tourist area with the bars being encouraged to operate the other side of Petchkasem.
All being well I will be here next high season but probably only the once, additionally the pound seems in a perpetual decline. :)
You are quite right gus. The Powers That Be have been trying to get the bar areas further back for many years now - just like Pattaya. But to me there is one big difference in that the Pattaya beach front developments were fairly new and often temporary shacks compared to HH, where some long established families owned beach front property, and capitalised on it when the farang invasion began and flashed their cash.

Much of the Pattaya beach road was built on the back of the GI influx. HuaHin beach front housed a very old fishing community with maybe elderly owners who were ready to sell up and move.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Regards the front, there are some very old houses there (by Thai standards), both on the beach front and opposite, some well over 75 years old and lived in by the same families now as then. My other half got talking with one of them and he explained what was happening in some of the pics the families have put up for display in that area.

The guy with the orange shirt in the above pics was wandering around the cleared area, I wasn't sure if he was part of the group of three or was just scavenging for anything left behind! I had other shots of a similar nature, which show him checking the wall and ground.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

LOL, checking or washing the wall?

Regarding the houses on the front, I've had cause to visit Victor Guest House a few times recently. This is a series of original preserved old houses, modified for use as a guest house. Inside the substantial grounds it is really like stepping back in time. I find it fascinating.

Points 41; Position 18
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Think I've been in there as well, B B, but many years ago when it was being run by a young westerner (can't remember what nationality).
It was an oasis in the middle of HH. An old wooden place with a largish courtyard that contained a bar.
Must be the same place.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, run by a gentleman from France - a brilliant way to maintain Hua Hin's heritage.

Points 41; Position 18