Hua Hin Tuk Tuk minimum prices

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Hua Hin Tuk Tuk minimum prices

Post by Bristolian »

Big Boy wrote:There has always been one at the front of Market Village (hopes its still there :D )
BB, if you have the chance, please check price for MV to inland on soi 6 by 3km. I would be genuinely interested to compare with what I currently pay. The result, will not change what I pay because of the excellent service I receive .... but nice to know. :cheers:
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

centermid7 wrote:^ 555

And when the driver tells you to FO, shakes his head and tells you that he is not going any where for that posted 100 Bt ??
In my case, it is normally what alternative there is for Mrs BB - nowhere is very far in Hua Hin, and I love walking. If it's pouring down, I will normally agree. Often, if you say no, his mate who is next in the queue will gladly take the job at the right fare anyway - it pushes him up the queue, while is mate is still sat there..
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Big Boy wrote:
centermid7 wrote:^ 555

And when the driver tells you to FO, shakes his head and tells you that he is not going any where for that posted 100 Bt ??
In my case, it is normally what alternative there is for Mrs BB - nowhere is very far in Hua Hin, and I love walking. If it's pouring down, I will normally agree. Often, if you say no, his mate who is next in the queue will gladly take the job at the right fare anyway - it pushes him up the queue, while is mate is still sat there..
BB do you fit in a tuk tuk? You're taller than me and I have had issues!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Hua Hin Tuk Tuks are surprisingly large. I can just about squeeze into Bangkok sized Tuk Tuks. I've always managed in Isaan Tuk Tuks, which are a completely different configuration.

In Chiang Mai last year, we asked our hotel to call a taxi, but they wouldn't because there were Tuk Tuks outside. I tried, but if I'd squeezed in, they'd have needed a tip opener to get me out again.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Hopefully the photo below will clarify why some of you consider me a cheap charlie, and why I use the term 'rip off'.
20160116_104520.jpg
20160116_104520.jpg (87.42 KiB) Viewed 853 times
It was taken at the Tuk Tuk rank outside Market Village (where the Chang Party is currently residing) earlier this morning. I actually live closer than Hua Hin Station, so I consider my correct fare to be 60 Baht, although I never flinch when asked for 100 Baht.

The wording is quite clear:
Rate of fare start 2 km limite no more 50 B. after that one km about 8 B. if the way more than 5 km. The passenger and driver discus together but no more than 10 B/km
These notices are there, but generally ignored because people like to throw their money away. Personally, I prefer to pay the correct fare, and tip for good service, but I'm a cheap charlie.

If the majority of you are correct, then why is the city displaying these notices?

Points 48; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've tried to enlarge the important bits:
Taxi_Price.jpg
Taxi_Price.jpg (43.45 KiB) Viewed 846 times

Points 48; Position 18
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

^ How strange!

You consider the correct fare to be 60 Bt but think nothing of giving them 100 Bt when asked (60% more than the correct fare) AND give them a tip yet call yourself a "CC".

It's hard to be "ripped off" by the taxi drivers when you are doing it to yourself. Go ahead on though - Fill your boots!

Cheers!
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

I love the bit where it says "1km about 8bt".

I rarely get a tuk tuk from Market Village but on the times I have, I've never seen that sign before.
Either way, I'll probably still keep paying what I feel to be reasonable enough fares - if I'm leaving in a tuk-tuk from Market Village then I'm probably with some kind of load, or in a rush, anyway - so it's not like I have a great deal of choice.

BB Have you ever tried calling one of the numbers listed to lodge a complaint about being overcharged? :)
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

Big Boy wrote:I've tried to enlarge the important bits:
Taxi_Price.jpg
Nevermind.
Last edited by Name Taken on Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, others are calling me a cheap charlie - I am simply playing along. I knew before I moved to live in Hua Hin, Thailand that as a Farang, I would invariably be paying over the odds for many things. All of this was taken into consideration, accepted and budgeted for - I did not come here blind. This is invariably confirmed when I travel outside of Hua Hin. Living here we are paying over the odds for many things compared with the rest of Thailand. However, if a product has a price sticker, I don't expect to pay 2.5 the marked price.

If I want a Tuk Tuk to take me, for example to the bus station, I will pay over the odds, else I know I will get the reaction you suggested earlier 'when the driver tells you to FO, shakes his head and tells you that he is not going any where for that posted 100 Bt'. However, the amount I will be ripped off for has an upper limit. The alternative is to walk, which is not something I choose to do with luggage.

As a general rule, I do not use Tuk Tuks because of their excessive rates - as I have said, it is my choice.

Points 48; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Name Taken wrote:
Big Boy wrote:I've tried to enlarge the important bits:
Taxi_Price.jpg
Cool, One more thing a foreigner has to remember/memorize. :roll:
I was asked to post the information.

Why remember/memorize it? There's a big sign you can read at the taxi rank - just open your eyes :?

Points 48; Position 18
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

Big Boy wrote:No, others are calling me a cheap charlie - I am simply playing along. I knew before I moved to live in Hua Hin, Thailand that as a Farang, I would invariably be paying over the odds for many things. All of this was taken into consideration, accepted and budgeted for - I did not come here blind. This is invariably confirmed when I travel outside of Hua Hin. Living here we are paying over the odds for many things compared with the rest of Thailand. However, if a product has a price sticker, I don't expect to pay 2.5 the marked price.

If I want a Tuk Tuk to take me, for example to the bus station, I will pay over the odds, else I know I will get the reaction you suggested earlier 'when the driver tells you to FO, shakes his head and tells you that he is not going any where for that posted 100 Bt'. However, the amount I will be ripped off for has an upper limit. The alternative is to walk, which is not something I choose to do with luggage.

As a general rule, I do not use Tuk Tuks because of their excessive rates - as I have said, it is my choice.
:agree: with you BB.
:cheers:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Pleng wrote:
BB Have you ever tried calling one of the numbers listed to lodge a complaint about being overcharged? :)
I have threatened a call on a couple of occasions and the fare is immediately dropped.

These prices were agreed with the local authorities a while ago and was advertised at the time with a request to report any overcharging!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Pleng wrote:I love the bit where it says "1km about 8bt".

I rarely get a tuk tuk from Market Village but on the times I have, I've never seen that sign before.
Either way, I'll probably still keep paying what I feel to be reasonable enough fares - if I'm leaving in a tuk-tuk from Market Village then I'm probably with some kind of load, or in a rush, anyway - so it's not like I have a great deal of choice.

Sorry Pleng, I missed your question until HHTel quoted it :oops: .

No, I've never bothered. As I've said, I'm usually happy to walk, and the rip off request is the kick up the backside I need to remind me I'm being lazy.

Points 48; Position 18
Gus
Guru
Guru

Post by Gus »

In the past I have regularly got a Tuk Tuk from opposite Poonsuk Plaza to the SCB Bank on the soi which goes through the centre of the night market, I just give the driver 100 baht, are you telling me that when i come back in 2 weeks time the fare is 150 baht?
If so, then it is Shanks's Pony. :)