"The Over-Development of Hua Hin and the Consequences

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: "The Over-Development of Hua Hin and the Consequences

Post by GLCQuantum »

TicTac wrote:Hua Hin is hardly over-developed. Just look at places like phuket, pattaya, etc. Cities are growing all across the world but thankfully Hua Hin remains a well balanced town with some problems but retains its character. Not sure where you live in the U.S. GLC but perhaps look at the problems closer to your home
I don't, and never have, lived in the U.S... so can't compare, I'm afraid.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

Big Boy wrote:
Yes, a sink hole appeared on Soi 102, but it was rectified very quickly, and as far as I know, there has been no re-appearance. I use the road regularly, and don't have to rely on my car's inbuilt snorkel. The road surface is good compared with many other roads in Thailand.
This appeared in Manchester in the past few days.
It's a main road in the centre too, not some side street. :shock:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/hu ... ad-6252491

Sinkholes and flooding are not exclusive to Hua Hin, or Thailand for that matter.
In fact, I think for the amount of rainful they have, the situation is quite good.

The last couple of days of heavy rain has seen flash floods all over the UK.
Flooding can happen periodically anywhere in the world.
Sinkholes are occuring all over too, google it.

As for over development in Hua Hin, well, that's happening all over too and I don't think it will be stopping anytime soon.
I can think of a lot more things to worry about in life though. :| . . . . . like the pavements in Hua Hin :shock: . . . . :mrgreen:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

'Pavements' (sidewalks for you yankie-doodles)... :?

What are they and what is there purpose?

:D
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

GLCQuantum wrote:Good post Frank... I'm gonna need a little time to counter it.
No, a little time (and thought) is what you give most of your posts. This one will need quite a lot.
This is the way
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

dtaai-maai wrote:
GLCQuantum wrote:Good post Frank... I'm gonna need a little time to counter it.
No, a little time (and thought) is what you give most of your posts. This one will need quite a lot.
A lot it is then...

P.S. Thanks for taking the time to post on the correct thread regarding the original post. Much appreciated.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Frank Hovis wrote:I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean by "breaking point"...
The point when neither nature nor the dumping of different nationalites/races, can work in harmony with the aggressive money grabbing philosophy of certain people.
, but one of the reasons Hua Hin has/had a tendency to flood (and rarely to any real depth) is that it is only just above sea level, when the tide is coming in you can see the water in the drains on Soi 61 (the road to the beach) actually run towards the west when the tide is coming in (that is when you can find a drain cover that hasn't been covered over) so in the event of heavy rains meeting a rising or high tide, there is nowhere for the rain water to go. This is somewhat exacerbated by the fact that Hua Hin has no river to speak of and the canal, which does have a reasonable capacity is totally clogged up with water weeds, rubbish and silt. The canal eventually drains out the the Khao Takieb 'river' and again when the tide is high, the flow of run off meets the sea and simply overflows into the Nong Khae area.
Ban Pong on the other hand has the natural benefit of being some 16 metres above sea level and has the Mae Klong river to discharge it's run-off into.
If there is prolonged, heavy rains, people living near rivers are more prone to flooding... as was the case in Ban Pong many a moon ago before the authorities pulled there finger out. You already answered it yourself by mentioning the consequences of rising pollution in the area - a direct result of over-development. The waterways that Hua Hin has are so clogged up with shite (rubbish) that the natural passage for the water to go to has been taken away by the ever consuming people. But, hang on...

Isn't Hua Hin by the sea? Surely the water can exit at that point. Oh, that's right - there are buildings in the way.
The nature of the rainfall pattern here as you may know is none, none, none, none, a months worth in two hours, none, none, none and so on, with Hua Hin catching nearly a metre of rain per year condensed into about 200 hours of rainfall it's rather difficult to imagine infrastructure projects cost/benefit falling on the benefit side.
"Failing to prepare is preparing to fail".
Thailands population has pretty much stopped growing, with a fertility rate of only 1.6 or thereabouts, the reason for the current population growth is due to life expectancy getting much higher, people are not dying so young therefore newborns are not replacing old people, they are joining them increasing the overall population but again to compare Thailand to the UK (which have similar overall populations) Thailand has about 130 people per square Kilometre, the UK has about twice that (260) and if you take only England it's about 410. To put that into perspective, Singapore, not what you'd call a run-down third-world banana republic with no infrastructure has over 7000 people per square Kilometre and Singapore suffered severe flooding between 2010 and 2013, and then there's Macau at about three times the density of Singapore. Thailand has a lot of room for expanding, even though the population isn't.
I'm one of those crazy people that thinks that only those who can raise a child properly, from childhood to adulthood, should be allowed to breed in the first place. There should be very difficult tests to pass before being given the green light to have a child. This alone would only make, at most, 50% of the world population eligible to have a child - that should cut the population down and also the extinction of morons. That's a whole new thread though...

Thailand has room for expanding but unfortunately, the people running the show, don't have the sense or know how in regards to how to do it properly. Hua Hin is a prime example of rampant money grabbing and corruption from all sides of the globe - swamping the place with muck while sugaring the palms of the important to make it all to happen. No planning permission needed - just a brown envelope. No environmental agencies to please - just a brown envelope. No moral compass to worry about - just a brown envelope.
Crime becoming rampant? Well that's hard to say, I think you'll need to show some small degree of evidence that crime has increased more than the growth of the town. Crime is obviously related to buildings, housing etc. because that's where people and things are so, naturally, there will be more crime where there are more buildings, not a lot of crime happens in a paddy field.
Evidence is hard to come by when certain evidence depicts Thailand in a lesser light than it wants be. Crime will get stronger in Hua Hin over the next decade. More farang attacks will be heard of due to a weak economy and a hatred of whites (amongst some). Growing debt and less jobs (for the average man) will also ensure that crime grows significantly in Hua Hin over the next decade.
So what can you do about it?

Over-development & Flooding : Stop coming to Hua Hin. Every visit you make to Hua Hin increases demand, with increased demand comes more supply (i.e. more building not only to house the demand but to service it as well).
I wish everyone did that. Everyone.... I have an actual reason to have to go. Most others don't.
Population Growth : Become celibate, that will ensure that you do not add to the population. Don't give to charity, don't help people who are sick, withhold your tax payments, don't take out health insurance and don't go to the doctor or to a hospital. There is always the option of reducing the population by one as well.
Survival of the fittest. The greedy, the rich, the aged and the dumb would all have to lose out at the end of the day. That's life. 60 years of age should be the limit. A million pounds sterling should be the limit. IQ of 100 should be the least allowed.
Crime : Don't accumulate wealth or belongings, if you have nothing you have nothing to steal. As for violence against the person, you may well have to commit to a life of solitude but in the event you are attacked make sure you kill your attacker(s) in self-defence thus assisting in the reduction of the population.
Never have been one for material possessions. That part of me comes from living on the streets. Ever felt what hungry feels like?
Fish : Don't eat fish, don't eat food that's been raised using fish by products which includes, directly, chicken/ducks/pigs/prawns and almost all vegetables, fruits and grains. Don't eat beef either, beef is raised with additional feeds made from vegetables/fruits/grains that have been grown using fish by product fertiliser. Become self-sufficient and only eat what you can grow without using pesticides or fertilisers. Eating road-kill could be acceptable as long as you understand that in doing so you may be depriving huge numbers of ants and/or flies their only source of food and that you may be contributing to a localised extinction event by disrupting their food chain.
This last part was a little childish. Food is easily sustainable if it weren't for over-development. Kinda the whole point of the thread. Hua Hin does not have the resources to keep providing for the ever-consuming great unwashed arriving on its shores. Cows will no longer be able to graze soon. Which piece of land can you afford to raise pigs? A goat in the garden, maybe?

Hua Hin will peak in around 2020. After that the crash will happen. And what a massive crash it is going to be.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Dear Dtaii Maii,

That above post took me 32 minutes (with a cigarette break). Is that enough thought put into it or should I think more.

Best Wishes,

Thoughtless.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Bugger me... 588 views in ten hours. Must be some sort of record.

:wink:
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

Stop coming to Hua Hin. Every visit you make to Hua Hin increases demand, with increased demand comes more supply (i.e. more building not only to house the demand but to service it as well).
We pretty much have stopped. I suppose that's good news to those who long for the good old days and bad news for those whose livelihoods depend on visitors.

I started visiting Hua Hin regularly in 1991. It has, since then, been one of my favorite places in Thailand.

A while back we bought a vacation spot south of Cha Am, thinking that we'd make occasional visits to Hua Hin for shopping, dining, drinking, etc.

We haven't. What with the traffic and parking hassles, it hardly seems worth the effort.

In fact, we rarely get in the car and find that the area between Sai Yoi and Cha Am, all easily accessible by bicycle, offers everything we need for a relaxing sojourn away from home.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

From GLCQ:
"That's life. 60 years of age should be the limit."

So you would have me dead! I suppose my will could be realised sooner. Wishful thinking!
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Keep personal family comments off the forum please guys and :offtopic:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Sorry, Kendo, It was in jest.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

GLCQuantum wrote:That above post took me 32 minutes (with a cigarette break). Is that enough thought put into it or should I think more.
Never mind the quality, feel the width.
This is the way
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

dtaai-maai wrote:
GLCQuantum wrote:That above post took me 32 minutes (with a cigarette break). Is that enough thought put into it or should I think more.
Never mind the quality, feel the width.
You've lost me.

Do you have anything to add to the topic itself or is this just another thread where Dtaii Maii jumps in, only to sarcastically criticize either the writer himself or his poor writing, spelling and/or grammar?

Anything to add - anything at all?

:cheers:
MajorBloodnok
Suspended
Suspended

Post by MajorBloodnok »

Hello,

too much negativity and pessimism contained in this topic.
(And if there is a pessimist, then it's me!)

Carpe Diem and enjoy the sun rather than wallowing in angst.
By the way a tsunami might strike Hua Hin any time.

Kind regards,

MB aka 'Mike the Fritz'
A GRATEFUL GUEST OF THE KINGDOM OF THAILAND & HER PEOPLE