Clean Hua Hin's beaches movement - Trash Hero

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Papaya
Guru
Guru

Re: Clean Hua Hin's beaches movement - Trash Hero

Post by Papaya »

21 Heroes turned up last Sunday for their regular 1 hour walk along the beach. There were only small pieces of rubbish laying around, but they still manages to collect 55Kg of trash. A big thank you guys.
trash.jpg
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I was on the South Takiab beach with the dogs last night, which is an area regularly tackled by the Heroes. Down by the water line there was a stretch of rubbish going 5 yards out to sea. This rubbish line went as far South as the the last restaurant hut.

At the end of the line of restaurants the beach was black - I couldn't work out in the torchlight if it was the oil rising to the surface again or whether it was something else. We moved sharply towards the shore to avoid getting it on our shoes/dogs feet.

Such a shame, we've fallen in love with this stretch of beach recently - it's normally spotless.

Has anybody walked other beaches in the area in the last day or 2? Is this just isolated?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Papaya
Guru
Guru

Post by Papaya »

Your concerns have been heard, and will be addressed.

The week, Sunday 11th February @ 4pm the Heroes will meet at Soi 9 Ao Huadon In Kao Takiab (Close To Ferry For Pattaya). Sunday's target will be the South Takiab beach.

Everybody is welcome to be a Hero.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Despite your good intentions....lol. You'll all probably be deported for working without WP if it suits them. Yeah, help those that couldn't give a toss about their own beaches unless it means money for them.

Sorry for my cynical comment...but have fun on your silly modern socio-media ego trip and post it on Facebook as it makes you feel good....[Mod Edit] Comment removed

This comment might well get deleted as it skirts the truth too much.

:|
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

You're doing a fabulous (never ending) job, guys.

Keep up the good work.

VS :cheers:
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Sorry Spitfire, I disagree with the gist of your post. In Bang Saphan, since I live there, it is also my beach. Yes most Thais, and many falangs, don't care but, as in any "movement" it starts with small steps, and wont happen overnight.

Ego trip? nah, the posts Papaya do just ask for any volunteers, I don't see any self inflation there :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
zingerhk
Amateur
Amateur

Re: RE: Re: Clean Hua Hin's beaches movement - Trash Hero

Post by zingerhk »

Spitfire wrote:Despite your good intentions....lol. You'll all probably be deported for working without WP if it suits them. Yeah, help those that couldn't give a toss about their own beaches unless it means money for them.

Sorry for my cynical comment...but have fun on your silly modern socio-media ego trip and post it on Facebook as it makes you feel good....[Mod Edit] Comment removed

This comment might well get deleted as it skirts the truth too much.

:|
Nah. It reads like the pathetic drivel that comes from a bitter soul's piehole.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Doing Trash Hero can be very disheartening at times - there is absolutely nothing egotistical about getting plastic out of the sea. It seems like an endless stream of trash and an uphill struggle. 8 million tons of the shit goes into the ocean every year.

Sadly the lack of education in this country leaves the locals very apathetic to the problem. The ethos behind TH is starting a movement to raise awareness about plastic and recycling, we know we can't clean it all. However if we can change the minds of just a few people and get just a bit of that shit out of the sea we've done a good job.

A walk of a thousand miles starts with one step. Trash Heroes we salute you!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Certainly not specific to Thailand, but a huge problem worldwide - as has been highlighted in Sir David Attenborough's recent series Blue Planet 2 (absolutely superb by the way).

This petition is specific to the UK, but with some hope something will be done which in turn will push progress forward in other countries. Possibly of some interest to posters and readers of this thread alike: -

https://www.change.org/p/urge-uk-superm ... erm=249934

(And no Spitfire - you don't need a Work Permit to sign :D :wink: ).

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

buksida wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:34 pm A walk of a thousand miles starts with one step. Trash Heroes we salute you!
Absolutely agree!

I have been involved with voluntary work (animal welfare) on and off for most of my life, started as a kid of 8 or 9. The best tip I have had was as a child an old lady said to me, "things change, but very very slowly. Never compare the state of things right now with the state they were in last year or 3 years ago. You will get disheartened if you look back in the short term, because there is no noticeable change, it's minute. Comparing things now with 10 or 15 or 20 or 30 years back is when the difference is really noticed". And she is absolutely right. As a teenager I really did think all my efforts were akin to peeing in the wind, now I know differently. Things have changed, most importantly public opinion now is more in less in line with what I hoped for 35-40yrs ago. I used to get laughed at too and told I had my head in the clouds & was wasting my time & naive & silly & soft & enabling & yada yada.

I somehow don't think the Trash Heroes were ever expecting their work to be a quick-fix-for-every-environmental-problem. It is however a very good step in the right direction. Don't let the nay-sayers put you off. There will be many of them though!
Papaya
Guru
Guru

Post by Papaya »

In response to spitfire, he seems to be the kind of guy, who, if a mystery person dumped rubbish on the road outside of his house, he'd cross the road rather than clean it. This is our beach and we enjoy using it. If the sea deposits it's waste, then rather than wallow in a rubbish tip, we prefer to do something about it so that we can continue to enjoy our beautiful beach.

There was a lot of rubbish washed up on the South Takiab beach this week. 50 volunteers (our regular Heroes plus students and teachers from Regent International School) cleared 250Kg of trash in just one hour.

A big thank you to everybody involved.
Trash.jpg
Trash.jpg (93.58 KiB) Viewed 1333 times
Heroes at work:

Papaya
Guru
Guru

Post by Papaya »

The Heroes will be meeting at Takiab Soi 1 (near Amazon) this Sunday Afternoon at 4pm. The walk will be just 1 hour.

Everybody is welcome to be a Hero, and we'd love to meet new people.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Well done you HEROES I salute you all
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
Papaya
Guru
Guru

Post by Papaya »

18 Heroes, including a few newbies, turned up yesterday at Takiab Soi 1. In just 1 hour, they cleared 90Kg of rubbish.

Very well done to all 18 Heroes.
trash.jpg
trash.jpg (60 KiB) Viewed 1040 times
Papaya
Guru
Guru

Post by Papaya »

This Sunday 25 Feb, the Heroes will be at Takiab beach near the Standing Buddha (in front of Skoop Cafe) at 4pm.

Please come along to join in - everybody is very welcome.