A lot of BIG Jellyfish at the moment

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Big Boy

Re: A lot of BIG Jellyfish at the moment

Post by Big Boy »

TicTac wrote:So what's the toxic looking yellow foam. Does anyone know?
The place I see that most is at the end of Soi 77. I assume it's something to do with what comes out of the little outlet there. There is often a strange smell, and on a calm day it is interesting to see the coloured water merging into the sea water. Of course, I could be completely wrong.

I usually jump over the little outlet (the Earth probably moves for most of you), but I cringe when my dogs just walk through it. Doesn't seem to do them any harm though.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ An idea is for a significant other to put photos and questions about the "yellow foam" on a local Thai forum and see what comes back. Better all around for them to blow whistles and rattle sabres especially if it's something the local Gov knows about but is under pressure not to address. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Regular beach walks have resumed now the the oil problem has almost gone away. There were a lot of medium sized jellyfish washed up last night, together with a few ping pong ball sized. Take extra care in the sea please.

Points 41; Position 18
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Down here in Bang Saphan seeing a lot of large jellyfish, size of a football
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

LOL - that's what I call medium. You wait for the big ones - you won't believe it.

We've got a rottweiler (tail still in tact) that we take on the beach most nights. She would stand beside then and they were a larger diameter than her length.

Points 41; Position 18
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Big Boy wrote:LOL - that's what I call medium. You wait for the big ones - you won't believe it.

We've got a rottweiler (tail still in tact) that we take on the beach most nights. She would stand beside then and they were a larger diameter than her length.
:shock: :shock: :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Educational video. These critters are in Thai waters as well. Perhaps not as big, but big enough to be lethal or at least make you very, very ill. IMO. Pete :cheers:

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

prcscct wrote:Educational video. These critters are in Thai waters as well. Perhaps not as big, but big enough to be lethal or at least make you very, very ill. IMO. Pete :cheers:
" I just watched that video. I had no idea these were in Thai waters. Its the deadliest animal on the planet, hands down. If you are stung you have 2 minutes until you die, so there is basically no way to get help or to the hospital on time. I am glad I never go in the ocean... it's not even worth it, especially with Box Jellyfish around Thailand.

The first photo is someone who was stung in Cha Am. Ouch...
Attachments
6 - Jellyfish Day 10.jpg
6 - Jellyfish Day 10.jpg (69.23 KiB) Viewed 2393 times
koh samui sting june 2012 3.JPG
koh samui sting june 2012 3.JPG (16.73 KiB) Viewed 2393 times
"If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." - Albert Einstein, 1936
kev78

Post by kev78 »

Kill the f'ing things.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

A lot in the news the last 3 days about Portuguese Man o' War jellyfish in the Phuket and Krabi area. Beaches closed and reported to be hundreds in the surf and on the beaches. Have any been seen on Hua Hin beaches yet? Pete :cheers:

Swimmers warned as jellyfish washed ashore by storms

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nationa ... 96370.html
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Some of the normal jellyfish down here in Bang Saphan (not many though) but no man-o-wars
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I don't think the Andaman side has an exclusive hold on the dangerous kind, but it does seem the gulf has less of a chance to get the nasty ones, unless they should come in from the south china sea in which case I'll see them in Rayong before you do over there. So far nothing but the normal baseball size clear blobs on the beaches here, just like every year. Pete :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I walk the beach most nights (not last night though). Yes, there were a lot of jellyfish on Monday night, but I've seen it much worse. numerous varieties, but the largest was about 18" across. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Now that we're talking about it again, I recall something on this thread about box type getting some people on Samui last year. So, at least the box type were/are in the gulf. Pete :cheers:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

"Worrying" jellyfish invasion threatens Phi Phi, Phuket beaches

http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/adv ... et-beaches

Several beaches have been closed in the Krabi and Phuket area and swimmers have been warned that alarming numbers of venomous jellyfish-like creatures known as Portuguese man-of-war have been spotted in the sea there.
jelly fish.jpg
jelly fish.jpg (40.37 KiB) Viewed 1430 times
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!