Thinking of retiring to Hua Hin - what is important

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Thinking of retiring to Hua Hin - what is important

Post by margaretcarnes »

hhfarang wrote:
HHF... your problem is your lifestyle. Will you cut down the booze and food when you return to the US of A ?
Yes, because I'll be outside and be able to enjoy doing a lot more outdoor activities. Here, because my body can't tolerate the climate all I do is sit inside the house, eat, drink, moan on here, and watch TV.

Before I came here, even with working full time I still played golf, rode both on and off road bicycles regularly, jogged and did many other outdoor activities (even just long walks with the missus), including taking care of my own property and garden. The constant heat and humidity prevent me from doing any of that here and I have sunk into a very self destructive lifestyle simply because of the climate (and dust, dirt, uneven pavement, soi dogs, etc.). Here I dread going outdoors and only leave the house about once a week (or less) when I have to for some shopping, bill paying or other required task. Even those, I delegate to my wife whenever possible so I don't have to face the heat for a second. I shower, put on clean clothes and the walk from wherever the car is parked to wherever I'm going and no matter the distance it makes me wet and miserable and feeling dirty again, with eyes burning from sweat dripping from my forehead into them and on my glasses so I can't see. As you said, it's personal and I personally hate this climate.

I do have a couple of indoor exercise machines which I use regularly, and have stayed strong. but exercise for the sake of exercise indoors is not fun and gets boring after about an hour a day which gives me 23 hours sitting or laying around the house self destructing.

I've frequently said that if you're going to retire in Thailand, Hua Hin is the best place I've found and even with it's growth and increase in cost of living over the last ten years, I still feel that way. Chiang Mai would suit me better except for the air quality as I have asthma, but Hua Hin has everything a retiree could want, providing you have plenty of money (for things like travel and golf) and like this kind of climate.

Plus if I move back to the U.S. I'll probably automatically lose weight because I won't be able to afford to eat... :shock: :D :wink:
When I first moved to Thailand a farang neighbour insisted on taking me for a very long hike along the seafront (Pattaya) once a week. We would walk all afternoon, stopping at beach bars along the way. Although I was already pretty much used to the climate I swear those walks really completed my acclimatisation. And thank god they did - because there's no way I could have been so confined to home as you seem to be HHF.That isn't what I moved to Thailand for. But I do now understand your angst about the place and have to say that maybe you should go home?
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

lespaul1940 wrote:Thanks for all the answers.
I am not surprised to see everything from helpful to the sad comments of the resident troll.
I did use the search function, but you have to ask the right question to get the right answer.
I am not trying to fulfill my 10 posts to see what is behind the green door, although what is restricted is always interesting ;)) (and these answers would all be separate posts)
Retirement or even life is easier if you have excess money, I was more interested in regulations, controls and restrictions applied to Farangs in Thailand

Les
So are you going to answer any of my serious questions so I can help answer your question?

Where are you from?
What is your monthly budget?
Are you married?
How is your health?
How old are you?
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

The OP has just said:
I was more interested in regulations, controls and restrictions applied to Farangs in Thailand
... so presumably he doesn't feel he needs advice on his budget, health or marital status (or his weight!), though I'm sure he appreciates the thought. :D
This is the way
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

dtaai-maai wrote:The OP has just said:
I was more interested in regulations, controls and restrictions applied to Farangs in Thailand

Ok - regulations - abide by the law and above all respect the monarchy. Realise that whatever happens you will be in the wrong because you chose to be there, whether that happens to be a housing dispute or an accident. You are farang therefore you are wrong.

Controls - visa restrictions, property rights, work.

Restrictions - no rights to residency, work, voting, health care, land ownership.

If you can accept all that you've cracked it.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

HHF, I am full of sympathy for your inability to handle the climate, one thing confuses me, didnt you say that you had lived in Florida. I spent a few years in the Panhandle and found the heat there much more worrisome than HH. I used A/C continuously everyday from march to October, here I use it 20 min a day max at bedtime.Which part of the Us are you going to. Mid atlantic states or pacific NW would seem to be suitable.
lespaul1940
Novice
Novice

Post by lespaul1940 »

JamesWest wrote:
lespaul1940 wrote:Thanks for all the answers.
I am not surprised to see everything from helpful to the sad comments of the resident troll.
I did use the search function, but you have to ask the right question to get the right answer.
I am not trying to fulfill my 10 posts to see what is behind the green door, although what is restricted is always interesting ;)) (and these answers would all be separate posts)
Retirement or even life is easier if you have excess money, I was more interested in regulations, controls and restrictions applied to Farangs in Thailand

Les
So are you going to answer any of my serious questions so I can help answer your question?
Where are you from? UK/Switzerland
What is your monthly budget? expect to have ca. 300,000 Baht/month
Are you married? Yes
How is your health? Goodish usual wear and tear
How old are you? 57
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

lespaul1940 wrote:What is your monthly budget? expect to have ca. 300,000 Baht/month
]
You should be able to scrape by if you're careful.
This is the way
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

oakdale160 wrote:HHF, I am full of sympathy for your inability to handle the climate, one thing confuses me, didnt you say that you had lived in Florida. I spent a few years in the Panhandle and found the heat there much more worrisome than HH. I used A/C continuously everyday from march to October, here I use it 20 min a day max at bedtime.Which part of the Us are you going to. Mid atlantic states or pacific NW would seem to be suitable.
Florida was too hot in summer, but had a nice long cooler winter, and I didn't live there by choice. My company transferred me there.
The main problem here is that it's constant with no seasonal relief to look forward to.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
BOZ
Professional
Professional

Post by BOZ »

300,000 Baht should do you nicely... I have budgeted less but I also bought my home out right so there isn't any rental concerns for us.... Depending on your lifestyle you should have a very comfortable life here... Get here spend sometime looking at the different areas offered and then settle in... Cars aren't cheap but with that said buy one made in Thailand and you can get much better deals, price if you will... I am close to your age and will continue to split my time between HH and the States for few more years... I have a Thai wife that makes our decisions easier around land/home ownership.... I am sure you will be happy here if you give it a good go... Get a few hobbies and meet folks like minded and things get better.... Regardless enjoy and embrace your new life!!
Boz

Life is short, live it to the fullest!!!
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

300k per month should do you fine unless you rent a mansion. That will give you plenty to travel (so get out for a while when you get sick of HH) and play all the golf you want, eat out as much as you want, etc.

My budget has been around 100k per month and that's enough for basic living (3 people), but not enough for any extras like travel or golf, hence part of the problem of my bored existence here.

If I were on my own 100k would have been enough, but not with a family to support.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
pfotoguy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pfotoguy »

300000? That's like over $9000. A month. Live where you want
theprice01
Professional
Professional

Post by theprice01 »

lol, 300000?!? i barely spend that in 6 months!

of course depends what you want to do....if i could spend that a month...i wouldn't live here
When nosy expats ask how can i live here without working, i reply, 'well, while you worked hard for 50 years, i worked smart for 5 years' :D
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

...if i could spend that a month...i wouldn't live here

I suspect that's true for many more people here than will admit it publicly... :roll:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

^^Maybe, maybe not. I'm not sure why anyone would be shy about it though.

In my case, if I could spend that amount a month, I definitely wouldn't have decided to live here 10 years ago, but if I suddenly had access to that sort of money now, I doubt I'd move on anywhere else. I'd simply be able to improve my lifestyle and help my adult kids more. I've "dun roamin'" now...
This is the way
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

hhfarang wrote:...if i could spend that a month...i wouldn't live here

I suspect that's true for many more people here than will admit it publicly... :roll:
I spend less than 300000 in 6 months and I am quite happy here, would need 3 times more in my country !