Improving Hua Hin.

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Improving Hua Hin.

Post by oakdale160 »

It is always good to turn things around in your mind. If there were a holiday resort in an English speaking country who got many foreign visitors, let's say thai. Would the local people feel an obligation to translate every poster into Thai.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Well let's face it it's a personal thing. I preferred HH as it was 10 years ago and to be honest I still miss the rural life I experienced some years ago. I came to Thailand to escape all the western crap thrown at you at home.

Of course younger members of the community love the cinemas, bowling alleys, fast food centres, trendy shopping malls and other western stuff. IMO HH is being driven by what the Bangkok young generation want and let's face it, they've got the dosh.

Tourists are the same the world over and no matter which country they holiday in they expect value for money and quality hotels and entertainment.

Expat residents..........well we don't really count in the big picture at all.
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

And it will only get busier, bluport opening will dramatically increaes the traffic. At the moment Mon-Thursday, before 10am and after 7 or 8 pm, the traffic is manageable. Soon you will have what they have in bkk and pattaya, traffic jams at midnight
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

oakdale160 wrote:And it will only get busier, bluport opening will dramatically increaes the traffic. At the moment Mon-Thursday, before 10am and after 7 or 8 pm, the traffic is manageable. Soon you will have what they have in bkk and pattaya, traffic jams at midnight
Closer to Cha Am than HH and very close to where I live, The Energy project will have 6000 units when finished, so the traffic will be dramatically increased especially at weekends which will no doubt spill over into HH.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Getting back to the poster thing, why are they posting their event? They want people to attend. Why do they want people to attend? To make more money. Whose money do most Thais seem to want? Farang's money. If they had the ability to do a meaningful translation, then they should.

Its not only events either. I was sat next to a collection box in market Village a couple of days ago. The appeal was in Thai. There were some photos of poor looking kids and some of important looking officials. Who would get my loose change? I don't know, so the money stays in my pocket.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Coincidentally, the poster that I found on the internet advertising the forthcoming concerts at 19 Rai had the following attachment:
อีกงานของชาวหัวหิน นักท่องเที่ยวอย่าลืมไปเที่ยวกัน
I'm not clever enough to read Thai, but I've been assured that its encouraging Thais to spread the word amongst the Farang community.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ Google doesn't appear clever either, or even sober :shock: . I got this minestrone soup when translating :roll: :

"Another of the Hin Do not forget to do rating"
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Along the lines of "another festival in Hua Hin. Don't forget to tell visitors to come". No specific mention of foreigners and probably more aimed at Thai visitors who will have a better comprehension of the music and will be more familiar with the musicians.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OK, I can't argue, but I asked 3 different Thais who are fluent in English, and they all told me the same - I don't know.

Regarding familiarity with the musicians, they have always been happy to pose with Farangs for photos, and are always happy to use Farangs to practice their English on.

Anyway, we're drifting off topic. I only offered it as an example where the poster was in Thai, but the accompanying commentary was encouraging Farang attendance as well. If the Thais are misinterpreting the meaning, I'm sorry.

:offtopic:

Points 48; Position 18
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

Big Boy wrote:Coincidentally, the poster that I found on the internet advertising the forthcoming concerts at 19 Rai had the following attachment:
อีกงานของชาวหัวหิน นักท่องเที่ยวอย่าลืมไปเที่ยวกัน
I'm not clever enough to read Thai, but I've been assured that its encouraging Thais to spread the word amongst the Farang community.
This translation is very near to the thai wording : "Another festival for Huahin residents, and tourists (please) don't forget to come with us"

I will just add that the word "นักท่องเที่ยว" = tourist, is used for Thai people as well as for foreigners, not only for foreigners.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Gregjam wrote:Hua Hin was a Thai resort before the influx of foreigners began. Some of us go back to the eighties or before and often rue the so called improvements. Talking to locals you hear about a Norwegian community which is likened to a tropical Norway ( not picking on Norwegians, merely using it as an example) where the only Thais are the wives and family. Even the Thais who are reluctant to be critical have expresses doubt as to what this compound contributes to the local Thai society. Apart from adding to the higher prices for property and land the many retired foreigners living on a budget do not mix with locals much, do not contribute greatly and the majority speak very little Thai. Perhaps this and the amount of Thais flooding the area at the weekend flaunting their wealth would explain why our participation is not chased via advertising. Do the Thais want a bridge? What would increased road safety mean to the? Someone on 300 baht a day wages is unlikely to welcome having to pay for crash helmets, tax and insurance etc. there are many ways that the area can be improved but they must be to the benefit if local Thais and not just to satisfy well meaning foreigners. (Says he who sat down and had a breakfast, the price of which would have fed a family for two days).

It's not just improving roads and pavements a lot more could also be done improving safety culture for example-
Khun Bob the construction worker scratches a living on 300 baht a day so doesn't buy a crash helmet one day he falls off his moped in a very minor collision he then died of head trauma that was totally avoidable he has now left his wife and four kids to a life time of hardship.

As for insurance a friend of mine that is very well known in Hua Hin got hit by a car and lost a leg the Thai driver was covered with insurance and they did pay out.

Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Good point Kendo. Uninsured drivers are certainly not just a problem here. Back on the subject of improving Hua Hin, if construction standards were a bit better in the first place perhaps the there would not have to be so many repairs be it roads, houses or pavements. How many accidents occur due to the ubiquitous tree branch in the middle of the road indicating a drain cover either missing or failed.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I will say this just one more time--- you can have all the standards and regulations that you want but they Will NOT be enforced. In thailand there is no enforcement of rules, regulations or standards--- that is not going to change, get used to it, accept it or leave.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

oakdale160 wrote:I will say this just one more time--- accept it or leave.
I'm always tickled when someone thinks they are wearing the big boy pants and want to tell everyone what to do.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

oakdale160 wrote:I will say this just one more time--- you can have all the standards and regulations that you want but they Will NOT be enforced. In thailand there is no enforcement of rules, regulations or standards--- that is not going to change, get used to it, accept it or leave.

Ho hum, progress is happening I call it "Small Foot Steps" and going around the block a bit. :D
Thailand won't have many rice farmers in Issan twenty years from now all the kids want more from life than being bent double picking rice or other crops.

Kendo. :roll:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.