Improving Hua Hin.

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Improving Hua Hin.

Post by usual suspect »

Yes I'm grumbling again!
I recently posted a topic about the 'blocked footpaths' by business-owners down Poolsuk Rd making it hard for elderly & disabled folk. :( :(
Well nothing has changed there..& never will as long as there's 'brown envelopes' winging their way to the fat controllers of this town. :banghead:
But let's look at a bigger picture...
Traffic every weekend..gridlocked..has been for years now! Action?..block off U-turns, that'll sort it.
Road sinage to help out-of-towners..? Action?..err?
A nice prommenade or at least a pleasant walkway onto the beach..action?..Let's try shovel up a bit more horses**t that tourists have to wade thru' when using Hua Hin's 'main' beach entrance!
So the beach is full of tourists..where's the nearest clean public toilet?..what..? you mean we've to walk back down the beach,paddle BACK thru' the horse-crap to find them on the way in..?
(yes, same as you were told as kids..go before we set off, cos there won't be a chance for hours).
Now yesterday (after a 1hr drive from the centre of town) we all went to the beach just the other side of 'Monkey Mountain'..thru' Takiap.
Well I was in a bad mood after cursing the stupid traffic management down Petkasem Rd all the way, BUT..wait for it..I was pleasantly suprised to find:-
I got parked near the beach straight away.
We all did'nt need wellies to get onto the actual sand.
The shaded seats/deck-chairs we used served good food, & much cheaper than HH.
The restaurant serving us had toilets a short walk away.
The beach in front of us had piped water & shower heads attached to the palm trees.(which everyone came & used).

It was a very nice afternoon, made more-so by a few simple extras, and we all agreed that Hua Hin needs to make their beach better for tourists..a bit more comfortable..my mother said they should take a strip of beachfront off all the hotel owners & make a paved promenade..bless her (I gave her a tartan blanket for her knees & a soft ice-cream to keep her quiet :) ).

But I cannot think of any great improvements over the last years this administration/Amphur has implemented towards making a tourists stay easier & more enjoyable..?
(Are they even aware that Paradise City has any problems?)
Rant over.. :cheers:
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Re: Improving Hua Hin.

Post by Lung Per »

Well written.
Suggest you get it translated into Thai and send it to the Mayor, the Chief of Thai Tourism in HH, AND not least, da bigga chief of tourism in Bangkok.

Yeah - I know........
A friend is only one click away
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Being one of those elderly and (mentally) disabled folk I appreciate a good rant like that U S... and I agree about south Takiab beach, but don't tell too many people. :wink:

The thing I can't understand is that over the past ten years, with the growth of Hua Hin and therefore the infusion of money from all over Thailand and the world and therefore lots more money going into the city's coffers, why more improvements have not been made... my guess is that the lion's share of that new income is going into the pockets of a few instead of into improvements for the many.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

While I pretty much agree with the rant, I don't really understand why anyone who knows the area would take their family to HH beach when there are so many better options nearby.

I didn't read the rant carefully enough (can't think why :wink: ) but I'll let my passing comment stand. And I'd add that if you expect there'll ever be a clean public toilet at the beach in Thailand, you're definitely in the wrong country!
This is the way
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

dtaai-maai wrote:I don't really understand why anyone who knows the area would take their family to HH beach when there are so many better options nearby.
I used to defend Hua Hin Beach when I used to visit on holiday, and I still believe its great for walking. However, in the 2 years we've lived here, we've had a regular stream of visitors. I don't remember once taking visitors to Hua Hin Beach in that time. Why? Probably accessibility. If visitors have kids etc, you can't just drive to Hua Hin Beach. Most other beaches, I can probably drive to and park almost in the sea, just as quickly.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
sand_dancer
Guru
Guru

Post by sand_dancer »

Agree that I would not use HH beach...... There are far better beaches within an hours drive....

If visitor numbers are rising year on year to HH......

Why would you spend money on improvements..... Surely everything must be perfect :roll: :roll:

:cheers:
timdg

Post by timdg »

not allowing cars to drive in city center from 17H to 23H would be great as well.
zeitgeist
Professional
Professional

Post by zeitgeist »

timdg wrote:not allowing cars to drive in city center from 17H to 23H would be great as well.
How do my kids get back from school? There are no buses from their school that go near our home.

To help ease traffic congestion my suggestions are...no parking on Petchkasem road between San Paulo in the south and the weather monitoring station in the north accept for deliveries...and deliveries only between 18:00 - 08:00. Oh and some policing of these rules would be nice!!!
Last edited by zeitgeist on Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timdg

Post by timdg »

A car free center must be part of a long time strategy. I remember 30 years ago when implemented in some European cities, there was a lot of criticism as well, but now everyone appreciate it so much. Kids could use a short walk, or a school shuttle bus business would appear...
blue05
Guru
Guru

Post by blue05 »

rubbish bins sadly lacking in thailand
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Stop it, its a waste of your typing fingers.
Don't allow it, prohibit it, make a law about ------- its all a waste of time, there are plenty of laws, rules, regulations but there is zero ENFORCEMENT.
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

oakdale160 wrote:Stop it, its a waste of your typing fingers.
Don't allow it, prohibit it, make a law about ------- its all a waste of time, there are plenty of laws, rules, regulations but there is zero ENFORCEMENT.
You are so right. There is no enforcement whatsoever. It starts with the little kids. They are never told that they cannot do this and they cannot do that. From the very early age they get used to do whatever they please. SO how can laws be enforced when they from day one get used to no law applies?? Thais are unable to assume personal liability and responsibility. - A very general observation, I know, but there's a lot of truth to it.
What does a Thai driver do when involved in an accident? Right- he runs away as fast as he can.
:cuss:
A friend is only one click away
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Unfortunately these complaints have been going on for years and it is unlikely to change until the pockets of certain people are affected. Have used Suan Son since the late nineties and whenever a tourist asks I always recommend it.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

I think Hua Hin suffers mostly by not having a road that goes along side the beach. Pretty much every other place I can think of has a road next to the beach, but in Hua Hin the closest road to the main beach is the Petkaseam Highway! Even if there was a will to improve the facilities; I'm not really sure how you could go about it??
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

I agree about the beaches on my two visits to Hua Hin this year we have been lucky enough to have friends give us daily tours and we have been to some really stunning beaches within a one and as half hour radius.

I would like to see at least two pedestrian bridges across the Petchkasem road and at least some traffic calming around the Binta block maybe speed bumps and gates that could be closed in the evening.

More ramps around town on the curbs to help wheel chair users and for people with young families and more enforcement regarding the blocking of pavements and sidewalks. I can say from my recent two visits it was quite a challenge with my daughter still needing her push chair.

Local events most of the time no English translation I wish they would realise that if their was an English translation they would get more farangs attending tourists and expats.

I would have also said English movies at the cinema but thanks to Big Boy and some forum power has made this a reality so well done on that one. :popcorn:

More flights to more destinations would be good Hua Hin to Surin for example 1 hour on a plane is better than 10 hours on a bus and loosing a whole evening and night and yes I would pay 4000 baht for the convenience of that. Other destinations like Samui, Krabi, Chang Mai could all be really accessible to people that don't want to always travel to Bangkok first .

Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.