Is there a tourist slump in Hua Hin/Thailand?

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
buksida

Re: Is there a tourist slump in Hua Hin/Thailand?

Post by buksida »

First two quarters could see Bt90-bn blow to tourism
THE TOURISM Authority of Thailand (TAT) believes the financial damage from the current political unrest could reach Bt90 billion for the first two quarters of this year, especially if the situation becomes more violent or drags on into April.

TAT and eight tourism associations are trying to restore the confidence of tourists to achieve the target of 900,000 foreign visitors in the final two quarters of the year, TAT governor Thawatchai Arunyik said.

Group tours, which account for 30-35 per cent of inbound tourists, are most affected by the situation. TAT is working with the Tourism Council of Thailand (TCT), the Association of Thai Travel Agents and the Thai Hotel Association, with an emphasis on value-added attractions targeting Asians tourists, for whom the journey to Thailand is shorter than for those in the West.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/busines ... 27278.html
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Got a friend from Bangkok down for a couple of days. He has friend who owns a bar in Cowboy who says that his bar and many others are down 70% in trade compared to the same months last year. Have also heard that the Beergarten is sparsely populated too which I've never known happen before
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Merky
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Merky »

No need to fear, Cambodians coming to fill the tourism gap!

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/c ... ng-tourism
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Merky wrote:No need to fear, Cambodians coming to fill the tourism gap!

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/c ... ng-tourism
Why come here? Thailand's surrounding countries have what Thailand has and more
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Post by Korkenzieher »

In the long run, Richard, I think that is Thailand's 'Achilles Heel'. It has no unique selling point, as such.

It can be outbid on temple sites / culture, beaches and most importantly price pretty much by any place in Asean; all that is really missing in some places (Myanmar, Cambodia, Vietnam) is a little 'tourism comfort' infrastructure. Some drift must already be happening, and this continued strife may sooner or later lead to a critical mass defection to the surrounding nations.
Had enough of the trolls. Going to sleep. I may be some time....
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Malaysia has a problem because of its Muslim traditions, but for a family beach holiday has much to offer. V-N on the other hand has a easy going attitude, the single male tourist will find no shortage of compensated companionship. And it has much to offer and a better attitude towards tourists.
huahin123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by huahin123 »

Seems pretty busy here to me
leither69

Post by leither69 »

I think bintabhat and the surrounding bars are quiet compared to my last few visits? this can change from day to day depending on flight schedules I assume
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

When you are walking up BB and looking at the bars, assess the number of farang and ignore the staff and bar girls. You will see that most places very quiet.
Other bigger bars, busy only if there is a pool or darts match or football playing.
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

Just had the best month of the year for my business which indicates the Bangkok Thais are venturing to Hua Hin again but believe, in general, many businesses are suffering badly. The new 'Market Town' in the underground of Market Village should be renamed 'Ghost Town'. Management are now fearful of going down to that level since business owners who moved are not seeing any trade and struggling to cover rents... which were always far too high... (why anyone would try and sell there in the first place is beyond me :banghead:) You cannot make money if it is all going in rent! Venezia is another that is struggling.

On the other hand, the food court in MV Tesco always looks full and I do see tourists around the night market area of town and that strip of over-sweetened Thai food restaurants on Poolsuk. Outside of those sections it is very quiet. Massage shops are also complaining there are no customers but then there are far too many of those here.

The property market is depressed, yet wealthy property companies are still investing heavily in Hua Hin. Perhaps they see the political situation as only temporary.

Songkran was busy and fun, so it hasn't all been gloom and doom. :thumb:
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

MrPlum wrote:Just had the best month of the year for my business
So why are you selling up then?..Assuming it's the one you're advertising for sale

[Mod Comment] Please respond away from this thread, which has nothing to do with selling a business.
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I rarely go to the Bintablock area outside of quiz nights.

I gauge how busy it is by the temple wall restaurants as I walk by at about 19:15. From December until March punters have been queued up outside of these restaurants waiting to be seated - something I've never seen before. However, on this month's quiz night, although still busy the queuing punters were no more.

I now expect this trend to continue until November/December.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

The only real way of gauging this is surely based on hotel/guest house occupancy and not bar or restaurant usage. After all the number of bars and eating places has increased dramatically. Certainly now when I have friends visiting from Europe they prefer to frequent new locations away from the traditional tourist trails
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

Big Boy wrote:I gauge how busy it is by the temple wall restaurants as I walk by at about 19:15.
It seems to be an odd phenomenon that while it has been busy there, more often than not, nearby streets, which you would also expect to be busy, have been dead. The road down to the fishing pier, for instance.
richard wrote:The only real way of gauging this is surely based on hotel/guest house occupancy and not bar or restaurant usage. After all the number of bars and eating places has increased dramatically. Certainly now when I have friends visiting from Europe they prefer to frequent new locations away from the traditional tourist trails
I agree, except for weekends where the town fills up with Bangkok Thais. They have not been coming and you can tell this just by looking at how infrequently traffic on Petchkasem has been backed up this year.

[Not sure where else I am supposed to respond to your previous question but the ad clearly gives the reason]. :cheers:
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

As far as I remember Bintabaht always resembles as ghost town during the weekdays as soon as Songkran has finished, and doesn't start to pick up again until around November.