101 tips and advice for visitors to Hua Hin

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Re: 101 tips and advice for visitors to Hua Hin

Post by richard »

Bush-Hack wrote:
uncle tom wrote:When playing pool in Thailand, the 'ball in hand' rule normally applies.

That is to say that after a foul shot, your opponent is given the white ball, and is at liberty to place it anywhere on the table. However, he or she is only permitted a single shot.
Good tip Uncle Tom.
Any other rules while playing pool in Thailand? What if I can't sink a ball? and my opponent cleaned up her/his balls, do I have to run around the pool table with my pants down? and which direction? (clockwise or do I need to run anti clock wise)?
so many questions, but I am a pool novis and need to learn. cheers
B-H
If you're playing a bar girl she will likely change the rules as the game proceeds. Accept it with a gracious smile
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

dundrillin wrote:Yes I would agree with that,my son had a difficult lower wisdom tooth extracted here,the dentist was excellent . Surgery was immaculate and the cost was very reasonable. And finally I should know as I used to be a dentist myself.
So that is where your board name comes from`? You retired from dentistry - you are done with drilling - dundrillin?
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

That's right Frank
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

The use of 'dun'+something is quite common in the UK, Frank. Many houses (of retired folk) are called 'Dunroamin' or similar.
This is the way
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

lol...

I always assumed that dundrillin was probably an ex-oil rig worker that was done drilling for oil! Dentistry never crossed my mind. :D

:cheers:
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

GLCQuantum wrote:lol...

I always assumed that dundrillin was probably an ex-oil rig worker that was done drilling for oil! Dentistry never crossed my mind. :D

:cheers:

LOL - many people have several careers, I was more thinking allong the line of the military Tatoo - that must be the Top of The Pops in the drillin' field?

Anyway - it goes to show that different people associates different tings and that the man behind the board name may be very different from what one thinks.

..or as the saying goes in Norway: "Sister - give me 40 Amalgam and 60 Marzipan" - and Volvo is an Italian Car with 6 Carburetors!"

In this country Dentists are considered people on top of the Tower of Power, when you are in their chair.

You must have some interesting stories to tell dundrillin, the likes of "Confessions from the Dentist's Chair" - type of thing.

I mean, patients confessions, not yours.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

And how exactly does all this nickname and dentistry talk help visitors to HH?
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

^^You're right of course, and I'm sure all those involved feel suitably chastised.
Where were we?
Oh yes, how to play pool with a bar girl...
This is the way
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

May I add this last one ?
THAI DENTIST.JPG
THAI DENTIST.JPG (36.23 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

:offtopic: Please.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

Lev wrote::offtopic: Please.
You are right of course - my appologies fro having derailed this discussion............. :oops:
Liberty70
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Liberty70 »

In Australia, ATM's give you your card back first, then the cash.

In Thailand, ATM's give you your cash first, then the card.

It is very easy to take your cash and walk back to the bar leaving the ATM to eat your card....I may or may not have done this once or twice over my many trips to Thailand.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

^ Same in the U.S. If you don't take your card out, you don't get the cash so impossible to forget.

I've done it here twice in ten years. The first one was returned to me the next day after I inquired at the bank. They pulled out a box that must have had a hundred or more in it and found mine after a few minutes of sorting through. The second time it was never found and I had to order a new one from my U.S. bank, which got lost in the mail, so the third one was ordered and I persuaded the bank to send it registered with signature required. Luckily, my wife has one too so we had one to use during all the drama.

That's why I keep money here now. I never did before, only brought it over as needed for short term. Now I keep half my savings in a local bank so I don't have to use an ATM or if I do for convenience and lose the card it's easier to get a new one from the local bank.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Many ATMs in the us, you do not insert your card, just swipe it by putting in and pulling out immediately.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

One thing I like about visiting the UK is 'cash back' in supermarkets and stores. Kills two birds with one stone. Pay a bill and add to your pocket money. No nasty ATM's to struggle with.
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.