Ignorance on Soi 102

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Big Boy

Re: Ignorance on Soi 102

Post by Big Boy »

hhfarang wrote:He mentions this forum as well but probably realized that the way he phrased his explanation it would be self promoting so he has not bothered to explain here.
That is a shame. Unless he really went overboard with promoting his business, I don't believe I or any of my colleagues would deny him his right of reply.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

hhfarang wrote:...he sounds like a reasonable guy who just believes in a healthy lifestyle and is against smoking on his own (rented) property, just asking people to move off to smoke
I've just been down to the gym to wish the owner well for his opening on Monday and he's bemused by the OP's actions, in taking it as far as he has.

You are right in that is all that happened and the OP, instead of apologizing and simply moving away from the entrance to the gym, as most people would do, decides to make an issue of it, to the point where he feels the need to badmouth the owner on two popular web sites, to garner support. I can't see how he can expect a round of applause, when a 'No Smoking' sign is clearly visible, right where he lit up.

Talk about counter-productive. The owner is getting lots of free publicity. Other gym owners are, even now, asking friends to light up and blow smoke into their gyms. :naughty:

I will give him a plug because he looks the real deal. A top-notch trainer (and martial artist), who has trained elite athletes in the U.S. I think it's a great addition to Hua Hin's health-conscious community.

I hope the OP sucks back and doesn't double down. It's all a bit silly and unnecessary.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

MrPlum wrote:I hope the OP sucks back and doesn't double down.
I might agree if I had the foggiest idea what you meant! :? :D
This is the way
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

The fact of the matter is that there are two sides of the event and there is probably a degree of truth in both versions (only those present know the real truth), but no doubt the winner is the Gym owner who has had volumes of free advertising.
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

dtaai-maai wrote:
MrPlum wrote:I hope the OP sucks back and doesn't double down.
I might agree if I had the foggiest idea what you meant! :? :D
Sure you do. In simple terms. Let it go instead of coming back with even more justification.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

MrPlum wrote:
hhfarang wrote:
sucks back and doesn't double down.
Sounds like my rented bride of the other night!
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

centermid7 wrote:
MrPlum wrote: sucks back and doesn't double down.
Sounds like my rented bride of the other night!
Interesting. Why would she suck your back? :?
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

its better than the front I guess :duck:

Centremid, you opened a can of worms for yourself there, it could get messy as some of the wittier guys read :)
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

Big Boy wrote:Unless he really went overboard with promoting his business, I don't believe I or any of my colleagues would deny him his right of reply.
I understand he has a problem registering with HHAD so I have taken the liberty of copying his reply from elsewhere...

'I am the owner of this new gym along with my wife and this is my reluctant reply;

To set the record straight, or at least give my side of this story I would like to fill in a "few" missing facts about this "so called incident" and to respond to all those that without any other knowledge except that which was written in a lop sided perspective, rumor, and innuendo, from someone that obviously feels overly threatened and insecure.

This is how it went down; I was working on a leg press machine that is near the front of the gym, we have a double shop house with two large door openings. The third shop house and ONLY other shophouse around, is the Joe's Pizza shop. The building is about 2 km from the main road in Hua Hin, on Soi 102.

We all moved in the building the same time, about 1 month ago. This building is an island as there are only a few townhouses directly behind us owned by the same owner. There are ONLY 3 shophouses, 2 of which the gym occupies. The Pizza place and us, the new gym. Other than that, there are no other businesses beside us, or in front of us. Joe, the owner of the Pizza place, whom is Thai, my wife and I all talked about and agreed to the "NO SMOKING" and put up NO SMOKING signs in front of the building, two in fact. BECAUSE none of us smoke, it's a GYM, we teach HEALTH AND FITNESS and it's our right, as lease holders and business owners, to set precedents for our own areas. We have a rather small odd shaped parking area, which we all use for our businesses, he has a table outside, and we will use our "parking" area as part of our training ground.......

So that afternoon, Hobiecat and his wife pull into the pizza place on their motorbike. THe next thing I see is him lighting up a cig. right in front of the NO SMOKING sign, which is in FRONT of our gym and in FRONT of the pizza shop on the outside post between our two shops as he was walking over to peer inside the gym to see what was going on, in front of our open door..........literally less than one meter from the building.

The smoke from his cig. came into the gym and I asked him if he could move to the other side of the pizza shop to smoke. I at no time "told him to leave the property". His immediate response in a defensive tone was " I am in front of the pizza place." I responded by asking him again and telling him that Joe doesn't want people to smoke either, but he is too nice to say anything, wants the sign to be enough..... but that would take someone showing respect for the sign and wishes of those businesses...... Hobiecat then retorted, "but I bet he wants my business!" I then said, when the gym opens, there will be enough business from non-smokers or smokers with some respect, so I wouldn't think too much about "helping him out".

(We ourselves eat there several times a week and have already spent a few thousand baht)

I then said, look, you don't need to be an asshol_e about this, this is my business and it's a gym for christ's sake. Hobiecat then replied it was none of my business where he smoked and this is "why he came to Thailand" as he held up his lighted cig. in front of my face. I told him he was right, until it effects me or my business, then it becomes my problem. Why can't he just walk away and smoke over there? I stood there a bit confounded as to why someone would be so problematic as several other smokers that I have asked or made aware of our requests, have just said ok, no problem and either wait to smoke, or go out closer to the street to smoke. I then said, in a rather direct tone of voice, "why does your right to smoke, override my right to breath? At which time, I saw over his shoulder, his wife leaning on their bike with a rather cute smile on her face....... as he stated, she doesn't like him smoking either and I would venture to say, doesn't like being embarrassed by him as well. Which probably happens more often than not if you take his re-action to this situation. Why would any grown man, or mature person, need to rant and rave on several forums to others about this, call me names, and create conjecture over my gym if not to defend himself to himself? Seems a bit strange to me but tells a story of his mentality and his thoughts. BUT I do thank him for the free publicity and getting the word out about our new GYM on Soi 102 in HUA HIN...... Thanks so much! Also, my wife, which is Thai, would love to talk to your wife about this and invite her to our gym..... so please let her know that she is welcome...

But obviously, Hobicat has a problem with being "told what to do" or asked to do something other than "what he wants". A rather juvenile and confrontational attitude in my experience. I have met a few other smokers with this attitude as well here in Hua HIn, and all I have to say is to all of you and to all of those that agree with Hobicat and who hold this attitude towards others is, you're only hurting yourself. As me and most other rational people think, it is a rather selfish and self-centered attitude.

YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO SMOKE WHERE EVER YOU WANT, WHEN EVER YOU WANT when it effects others!

There are "NO SMOKING LAWS" in Thailand, and just because there is not much enforcement from the govt. doesn't give you the "right" to ignore it. It also gives us more of the responsibility to have to enforce it ourselves as business owners. Not really a job I want, but one that you create for me.... but you don't get it do you? A small amount of respect goes a long way......

Your arrogance is "Ignorance with an Attitude" so you named your post on HHForum correctly, only when you point your finger at someone, remember, there are three fingers pointing back at you.

I am American and will defend my rights too. Whatever you have to say about me being American, I probably have already said them and lived them myself long before your judgements or ridicule. I don't agree with most things about my govt., today. but am proud to have been taught the American values..... and one is this; My rights end, where another's begin. OR Your rights end, where mine begin." Another is; be kind and considerate and treat others how you'd like to be treated.... also, defend yourself and your rights and stand up for what is good......

I am the one that holds the lease to this building, our two bays, and Joe holds the lease to his side. We have the right to use our parking area and all areas associated with it as we want.... WHY??? Because we PAY RENT AND PAID FOR IT!!!!! When you, any of you, want to pay my rent for me, then come do it and then we can talk about your "rights" on our property....... until then, please just go somewhere else and be with other like minded people who want to smoke and bitch and complain....... I didn't come to Thailand to escape my country or to do whatever I want regardless of whom it effects. I came to Thailand because I fell in love with my wife, the culture and because it is a new land of opportunity. I have been in the health and fitness industry for over 25 years, helped hundreds of people and taught thousands, and yes, I can be an asshol_e when confronted by an asshol_e..... I haven't reached Buddha hood yet..... and probably won't in this life time...... but that's ok. Not for those that think they can confront me and dictate their will over me, for sure. I will stand up to you every time. I am American remember..... and for those that want to come smoke in front of my gym, the moment you step off the road and onto my little piece of paradise with a lighted cig., you're challenging me and creating conflict. So up to you. As for all the other BS that others have said, whatever........ be ignorant and opinionated, I don't care.....

and for all those that know me, train with me or want to, thank you for being kind human beings and rational people....., you're the one's I want as community members and training partners...... please come visit us and let's play together......

Thanks for reading and if you're of like mind, stop in, if not, just go find your own friends to play with and leave us alone..... I don't want or need your business, which of course, I would never get anyway as health and fitness aren't even in your realm of reality...... only dying a slow death is your quest.

Thanks, POWERFIT 102'
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Well said that man
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Having read both sides of the story, I think that "Powerfit 102" (sorry don't know your name) was well within his rights to ask Hobiecat to move away from his front door, as he stated in the post, there were 2 no smoking signs in front of the businesses, which Hobiecat chose to ignore. "Powerfit" seems to have kept his cool, whilst Hobiecat lost it, never a good idea when living in a small town.
As for slagging off Powerfit on this and other forums, all Hobiecat has done is give the new business a lot of free publicity, which is always a good thing :cheers:

When we were in HH with our business, we made it a no smoking area and that included the garden area, which was also full of tables and customers. We never had any problem with either Thai or Farang customers on the issue and everyone was happy to comply with the no smoking restriction.

I was, back then, a smoker :oops: as was my FIL but even we did not smoke in the grounds or in the house, as we both understood that non smokers (my wife and MIL included) find the smell offensive.
When we wanted a smoke, we would either, go down the steps to the beach, or, walk out of the compound onto Naebkehart road for a fag. I never found having to do that a problem.

I'm way beyond strenuous exercise :cry: but I wish "Powerfit 102" good luck with his new business. :rasta:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
cheapercharlie
Warning
Warning

Post by cheapercharlie »

I just got around to reading the replies. The owner makes me proud to be an American.

I have a request for HOBIECAT. Please upload a picture of you with a cigarette dangling from the corner of your mouth, a pizza in one hand with a beer bottle in the other. And wear your best Union Jack T-shirt. Make sure you lovely wife is standing by your side:

WHY ? Because I want to support this business. It would be a good advertisement: I will add a speech bubble that has you saying, " I would never go to this gym". Then, at the top, it will say...
"DON'T END UP LIKE THIS".

I will be back in Thailand around Christmas, and will be joining your gym. Good Luck !
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

Well now its settled we hopefully won't have to hear one of hobiecats ignorant raves for another 10years!!
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Interesting to read the other side of the story i guess on first impressions that people are a little sensitive with an accusation of bullying or threatening behavior as their are some really unsavory people in Thailand, and we all have come across one at some point. :o

Now if someone has asked you to move away politely then you shouldn't have to ask twice, especially if they have large doors with you're smoke drifting towards them i think this is where the conflict starts on the approach of gym guys wishes. The open poster gave the impression that gym guy came over to the pizza establishment and not that he was really having a little look at the new gym thus spreading his smoke into the other unit.

My opinion is the open poster should consider the personal comfort of others around him although not breaking any laws should move away to a suitable distance where its not going to bother anyone around him its not really to much to ask. Maybe the gym guy should mark out the ground as a training area and smoking is strictly forbidden clearly signed on it, just a suggestion.

If the gym guy reads this then good luck with you're new business you have had some big exposure on this forum at-least everyone knows that their is a new gym up soi 102 maybe you should consider placing an advertisement chok dee.

kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I'm a lifetime non-smoker and don't enjoy the smell, but on saying that, I grew up in an environment where pubs were smoky, but as I liked pubs, and the people that frequent pubs, I accepted it. Since the ban in the UK, it seems to me that as its now so rare to be bothered by smoke, we're all a lot less tolerant than we once were. Maybe that's the same in America? It still came as a shock to me in my recent two months in Thailand, to see folk smoking in what would be smoke-free zones in most other places.
Talk is cheap