testing retirement in Hua Hin for 6 months

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
dwight
Novice
Novice

testing retirement in Hua Hin for 6 months

Post by dwight »

I am planning on testing retirement in Hua Hin from November to May. Will also be there for 2 weeks at the end of August. Will I be able to find a rental for 6 months if I wait until end of August to make reservation? I have no idea where to start looking, but I do try to play golf. No transportation and I do not enjoy cooking so need to be withing walking distance of restaurants and bars. Thank you for any information you can pass along.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: testing retirement in Hua Hin for 6 months

Post by oakdale160 »

I did much the same. Check into a hotel in the city center. Visit a couple of real estate offices and look for somebody that you think is friendly and not over-pushy, tell her your needs and take your time in selecting.
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

dwight wrote:I am planning on testing retirement in Hua Hin from November to May. Will also be there for 2 weeks at the end of August. Will I be able to find a rental for 6 months if I wait until end of August to make reservation? I have no idea where to start looking, but I do try to play golf. No transportation and I do not enjoy cooking so need to be withing walking distance of restaurants and bars. Thank you for any information you can pass along.
S ensible plan, plenty of rentals but online is mainly holiday rentals at holiday prices. I suggest coming and ta king a reasonable price hotel room and look around, ask around. There is plenty availa ble when you are here on the ground.
Ask board member JW for tips , he is in the property biz and very knowledgeable.
Happiness can't buy money
Bomber
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Bomber »

We are looking at doing pretty much the same thing and we have also found that the web sites tend to cater for holiday and short term rentals. We have also noticed that most are furnished with whereas we would prefer to rent something unfurnished. Does anyone know if this is a viable alternative? Thanks
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

No transportation and I do not enjoy cooking so need to be withing walking distance of restaurants and bars.

In my recent experience, the prices go up dramatically with that requirement. You may be better off in the long run with your own transport and living a bit further away from the center of town, or at least living near one of the "baht bus" routes well outside of town center.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Bomber - Unfurnished (or perhaps partly furnished) is definitely an option. Even if you see a furnished place you like, there is nor reason why you shouldn't negotiate with the landlord to remove the furniture (and possibly lower the rent).

As someone said above, most agents tend to focus on holiday (expensive) rentals. Whatever you are looking for (but especially unfurnished) you are better off having a good look round yourself. Outside of gated developments, stop and ask at local Mom & Pop stores, they will often know if there is something available. Many potential rentals are poorly advertised, if at all.
This is the way
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

dtaai-maai wrote:Bomber - Unfurnished (or perhaps partly furnished) is definitely an option. Even if you see a furnished place you like, there is nor reason why you shouldn't negotiate with the landlord to remove the furniture (and possibly lower the rent).

As someone said above, most agents tend to focus on holiday (expensive) rentals. Whatever you are looking for (but especially unfurnished) you are better off having a good look round yourself. Outside of gated developments, stop and ask at local Mom & Pop stores, they will often know if there is something available. Many potential rentals are poorly advertised, if at all.
:agree: a lot of houses for rent but not being advertising,our house we only find because Gf's best friend live on the other site of the street,not evena sign with a tlf.number. :? :?

:cheers: :cheers:
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

I am planning on testing retirement in Hua Hin from November to May. Will also be there for 2 weeks at the end of August. Will I be able to find a rental for 6 months if I wait until end of August to make reservation? I have no idea where to start looking, but I do try to play golf. No transportation and I do not enjoy cooking so need to be withing walking distance of restaurants and bars. Thank you for any information you can pass along.
Dwight - welcome on board.

Sound strategy. Suggest you book into a guesthouse in the middle of town in August, and then take a stroll around to see what suits.

Jings is in the heart of the nightlife area, and very friendly - and as good a place as any to launch your adventure..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
Awu

Post by Awu »

What is your budget for renting?
When we arrived here we rent a motorbike and drove around the area and there was a lot of for rent signs.
We also went to many of the real astate brokers and they drive us around and showed many houses and some condos.
What I learned from this was that you find the best and cheapest rent by your self.
We rent a very nice quite new 3 bedroom house in an central village only 3 km from downtown for 25.000 baht/mont, fully furnished and with nice european kitchen and communal swimmingpool.
Then I bought a second hand motorbike, much cheaper then rent for long term coz you will always get something for it when you want to sell. Otherwise you can rent nice motorbike for about 3000 baht/mont.

Sorry for my bad english, Swedish man...

BTW. Anymoore Swedish people in here?
48 year old and look for people to play golf, nice lads from UK, Norway, Denmark, Germany etc is ok to as long as you like to have an :cheers: on the 19 hole :D
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Welcome to the forum, Awu.
For your first post that looks like perfect advice for both renting a house/bungalow and buying a motorcycle.
It has to be said that it is advice that has been given on this forum many times by long-term expats living around HH and advice that is often ignored or overlooked - did you do that yourself as a result of looking at the forum, were you advised by a friend or did you simply decide for yourself that this was the best way to do things?

By the way, your English is fine! :cheers:
This is the way
Awu

Post by Awu »

dtaai-maai wrote:Welcome to the forum, Awu.
For your first post that looks like perfect advice for both renting a house/bungalow and buying a motorcycle.
It has to be said that it is advice that has been given on this forum many times by long-term expats living around HH and advice that is often ignored or overlooked - did you do that yourself as a result of looking at the forum, were you advised by a friend or did you simply decide for yourself that this was the best way to do things?

By the way, your English is fine! :cheers:
Thank you :)
Wonder why I didn´t find this nice forum before..
I have been living in Thailand about one year and I hang around in some Swedish Thai forum, with a little bit open mind you can learn a lot from internet forum :) Why make the same mistake as other people do.. ;)

I now live in HH, moved here 6 month ago and HH is a nice place, more fun sometimes in Pattya but overall it´s much better here. But it´s really a big lack of people here now in low season, where does all you other guys live in here? I live up in Soi 88.