Restricted access beach zone.

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
hyku1147
Amateur
Amateur

Restricted access beach zone.

Post by hyku1147 »

HI,

Where - heading north from the fishing pier - does public beach access end on the stretch that approaches the King's Palace?

Thanks
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: Restricted access beach zone.

Post by STEVE G »

Yes, the part of the beach in front of the Palace grounds is restricted and there is a guard in a sentry box at each end. I remember many years ago when I first moved out to Soi 16, trying to walk in to town along the beach and being stopped.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

:? I'm confused. We lived on Naebkehardt near the palace (2 compounds down from the Itsara) and just used to walk down our steps onto the beach and walk to the pier.
Never had any trouble from the police or palace guards. The "restricted area" is for fishing from the beach and any unauthorised boats entering the area and as far as I'm aware, people can still walk there.

My wife walked it a few months ago and the family still go onto the beach there most days, no problems. However, if you walk north and get too near the palace fence, then the guards will stop you.

Of course, it may be that people with beach front property are allowed to access the beach.

:cheers:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Of course, it may be that people with beach front property are allowed to access the beach.
Possibly, certainly I was stopped by an armed guard with an assault rifle and told that I couldn't walk in front of the Palace.
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

STEVE G wrote:
Possibly, certainly I was stopped by an armed guard with an assault rifle and told that I couldn't walk in front of the Palace.
The power of persuasion at work :guns:
Happiness can't buy money
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

STEVE G wrote:
STEVE G It has always been the case that no one is allowed to walk the beach in front of the palace and a fence was erected on the beach way back in 1995 I believe.

The two maps shown in Pete's post are, I believe, exclusion zones for boats and fishermen.

I used to sit on the sea wall around 6pm and watch the locals using those nets that you throw out into the water, just trying to catch their families supper.

The cops and soldiers used to show up and the fishermen would scarper into one of the unoccupied compounds, along with their gear and the cops never used to catch any of them. It never dawned on the BIB to put officers on Naebkehardt to catch them as they came out!

Quite why no fishing is allowed on the beach is a mystery to me.

:cheers:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
hyku1147
Amateur
Amateur

Post by hyku1147 »

It seems that if one avoids the area in front of the palace, then it will be okay.

Thanks.
tonwon
Novice
Novice

Post by tonwon »

Thanks..
max51

Post by max51 »

How far can one walk along the beach. I have read it is 5km long, and read somewhere else it is 7km long. Also read that you can walk along Army's part of the beach for a payment. How much would that be, and how long is that section?
Any help appreciated as I would rather walk along beach during the day than sit in a bar.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Before I became a "shut in" I walked the beach (at low tide) a couple of times from edge of the palace property south nearly to Kao Tao (having to go inland around Takiab mountain of course) and unless it has changed in the last several years the beach has full public access except for the stretch directly adjacent to the palace grounds.

The maps the Pete posted links to above are referring to boats on the sea with the "no entry zone" reaching all the way to the pier. I've walked the beach parallel to Nebkahardt road from downtown all the way to the palace where I was stopped from going further by a soldier a couple of times.

Even the beach adjacent to the large military base south of Takiab mountain is free to walk on all the way from Takiab to Kao Tao and you may not even see another person once you pass the golf course and the nearby restaurant and hotel just south of the golf course. That stretch from Takiab mountain to Kao Tao must be at least 10 or 12 kilometers so if you want an all day walk/jog with 95 percent of it on the beach you can start at the south end of the palace and walk all the way to Kao Tao.

Also, I've never done it but I assume you can also walk the full length of beach between the north end of the palace to Cha-Am and beyond.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
max51

Post by max51 »

Thank you hhfarang. Sounds like decent length beach walks in both directions from hh. I guess you can go around the King's Palace and get back on the beach further up.
prccst's maps above are very helpful too.
curious_traveler
Rookie
Rookie

Post by curious_traveler »

prcscct wrote:These two maps has it pretty well depicted. Pete :cheers:
Thanks. Those maps are very useful.
timdg

Post by timdg »

now there is daily fishing from the beach going on near the navy area. but once I have seen a kite surfer being surrounded by police as soon as he set ashore in that area