Sleepless in Hua Hin?

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
PeteC

Sleepless in Hua Hin?

Post by PeteC »

From the Bangkok Post Postbag. Do you really have that problem down there? I imagine this guy lives right in the city centre commercial district as that's where towns usually broadcast. Pete :cheers:

Turn off the loudspeakers!

Re: ''Thailand 'edges closer toward a police state','' (PostBag, Jan 17). As close to home as one can get to cite concern is the installation of government-sponsored loudspeakers along city streets blaring ''selected'' news of the day! At 7.30am, no less, in the resort town of Hua Hin, we are shocked from our sleep with one hour of blaring voices and music _ and not just once a day but often two and even three times a day.

I would expect as much in communist Vietnam or Laos but not in ''democratic'' Thailand, In this day and age, it is no longer necessary to enlighten a non-reading populace with news of the world via loud speaker. For use in emergency, possibly, but more likely a deterrent to future holidaymakers seeking a peaceful beach stay.

SLEEPLESS IN HUA HIN
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Re: Sleepless in Hua Hin?

Post by Big Boy »

I've never heard it, and I'm always up by 7:30. Sound seems to travel quite well here, and I can often hear train announcements at the train station. I have clear line of vision as far as the Hilton, so would guess that I'd be in the firing line somewhere.

Anybody know where these speakers are?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Sabai Jai
Professional
Professional

Post by Sabai Jai »

It is the 'Town Hall' or 'Tedsaban' who make the announcements - always has happened as far as I know. There used to be a speaker close to where I stay but it appears to have been 'disabled' now.

I heard the recent announceaaments / music etc around the market and central Hua Hin. They did seem a bit louder than than I recall - but quality has improved used to be really tiny and screechy

Ear plugs available at Boots and other good Chemists.

regards Sabai Jai
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

We get the radio broadcasts out here on the numerous loudspeakers and it starts before 7am, so just as well I'm an early riser and already up and about. I previously lived in Saudi, Bahrain and the UAE and you get woken about 4.30 in the morning with the Mosques announcing the first of their five times a day prayers, so this is not so bad.
moja
Guru
Guru

Post by moja »

We have a Mad Monk at the temple behind us and he starts at 0400 in the morning this was not too bad until someone bought him a sound system! Now we are often worken at 0400 with a weather forecast!
bonnielass
Professional
Professional

Post by bonnielass »

It's amazing what you can actually get used to if it's a regular noise. Eighteen years in UAE, close to the mosque, I sleep right through the prayer call at 4 am. Only when visitors stay am I reminded that it's a tad on the loud side.
Ye canny shove yer Grannie off a bus....
blue05
Guru
Guru

Post by blue05 »

pretty sure these are the advertising trucks that trawl around town
bonnielass
Professional
Professional

Post by bonnielass »

blue05 wrote:pretty sure these are the advertising trucks that trawl around town
I was thinking that as well..... they seem to be out and about early in the day.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Sabai Jai wrote:It is the 'Town Hall' or 'Tedsaban' who make the announcements - always has happened as far as I know.
I lived almost next door to there (Soi 63) on 3 seperate occassions - I must be deaf at that time in the morning :cry:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

blue05 wrote:pretty sure these are the advertising trucks that trawl around town
Now, those I do hear. Especially that annoying pipsqeak asking his parents to take him to Black Mountain Water Park :cuss: :guns: :guns:

Points 48; Position 18
deepee
Guru
Guru

Post by deepee »

We have a speaker across the street from our place and it can be a bit of a pain at times .Volume varies a bit from day today, usually loud to very loud.I find it a pain when the introduction,which done by a female is then handed over to a man who starts off with the obligatory clearing of his throat and continued coughing thru his sermon .Lengthy breaks often occur with the mike left on while idle chit chat goes on in the office too. Might ask the neighbors to "attend" to it as they also see it as an assault on them too.
Complexity is so simply overrated
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

We have a house up in Issan where I spend a week every so often and I used to complain about the 30 minute early morning speech over the speaker system up until they had an all night village Karaoke competition.
bonnielass
Professional
Professional

Post by bonnielass »

STEVE G wrote:We have a house up in Issan where I spend a week every so often and I used to complain about the 30 minute early morning speech over the speaker system up until they had an all night village Karaoke competition.
Did you not join in Steve, you might have won a prize. :laugh:
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

We have a house up in Issan where I spend a week every so often and I used to complain about the 30 minute early morning speech over the speaker system up until they had an all night village Karaoke competition.
That's why I could never live in a village here. In my wife's home village the village headman starts making daily announcements over a loud speaker at sunrise every morning... reminds me of friggin early morning Muslim prayer call when I lived in Saudi Arabia. :guns:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Sports Fan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sports Fan »

hahah poor you! ;)