Postal Delivery in Hua Hin

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Postal Delivery in Hua Hin

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:I'm expecting an important parcel from the UK that was sent requiring proof of delivery. The parcel is trackable online. For 5 days (upto the last time I checked on 11 Aug) I was getting 'Delivery being arranged from OFFICE Unknown'. I've checked this morning and get:
Track.jpg
This is the second time this has happened - guess where I'm going this morning? :banghead: :banghead:
It's quite feasible that you were out went they tried to deliver the parcel, but it would appear that they didn't leave a card to that effect as they would have done in the UK - I guess it's a case of TIT!!
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

I haven't had a TOT bill delivered in over 2 months now.....The postal service in HH is a disgrace.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Well that was just over an hour of queuing well spent. I am now of the conclusion that the message on my laptop was there for statistical purposes only, because they had never tried to deliver the package. I guess benchmarks had to be achieved, and the Bank Holiday was a hinderance.

Important thing is, I now have my package :D
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I've had lots of problems with getting local bills delivered, however, I've always received international deliveries either by them tossing a small one through my gate onto the driveway :shock:, ringing the doorbell and giving it directly to me, or leaving a card in my mailbox so that I could pick it up at the post office. Only once was a shipment sent back to sender as I was out of town during the attempted delivery and didn't get the card in time.

The bigger problem for me with parcels is the long queue that BB mentioned at the Post Office and that this is the only Post Office I've ever seen in my life that has no parking lot. About a week ago the closest parking I could find was about a kilometer down Phetkasem and I had to carry a ten kilo parcel that distance on a very hot day! Yes, I know I could have parked in the temple which would have been a bit closer, but after driving past it to see if there was parking on the Post Office street, rather than circle back I turned left down Phetkasem and parked at the first place there I could, which was nearly opposite Villa Market! The other problem with parking in the places I know that are closer; Tessabahn lot, dirt lot a little further down from the Tessabahn, or the Temple is that you can also spend 5 minutes standing in the blazing sun just waiting to cross the street at the traffic light.

A post office is typically one of the busiest places in a town this size that has only one. It is inconceivable (to me) that it should be located in a high traffic area like that with no parking provided, but TIT! IMHO it should have been moved to an entire floor of that wasted shopping mall across the intersection, with more room for P.O. boxes, more employees for faster service, and more space for organized mail storage and which already has an underground parking garage. The current building should be leveled and turned into downtown parking structure for the surrounding businesses and the Police Station, but that would be way too logical for Thai city planners. :duck:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

During the day, when the hordes from Bangkok aren't here, I've usually been able to park in the lane behind City Beach Hotel. And of course you can park in the underground car park in Collonade mall (wasted shopping mall) - although it's not free anymore - but 20 baht to keep the car cool ain't bad..
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

hhfarang wrote:leaving a card in my mailbox so that I could pick it up at the post office.
This is why I feel "the message on my laptop was there for statistical purposes only." I think I was the only person in the queue without a card. All that I had was the notification I'd found on the Internet.

Points 41; Position 18
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

certocito wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:07 pm Been to the Post Office a few times to query non-delivery of mail. Went upstairs and found a large cardboard box lying on the floor full of mail for our development. TOT bills, Tru Vision etc plus lots of personal letters. Usual response - shrug of the shoulders..
Came home today and found lots of mail in our post box - one in particular that affects my pension was posted in UK on 12 Jan, arrived in Bangkok central office on 22 Jan - delivered here today 27 Feb. What a load of cr*p. Apparently our postal delivery person fell off her bike and was unable to ride again, so hey, no delivery for weeks. Now I have to contact my pension provider and hope they haven't cancelled payment because I haven't answered their letter....!!!
Mail delivery by the Thai Postal Service is extremely slow out here where we live in Nakhon Nowhere. I am still waiting on a package that was mailed from the U.S. 3 weeks ago.
Our delivery person/mail woman carries all of the mail for at least 4 different villages on a little Honda Wave scooter with saddlebags, :laugh: :? and all of these villages are far apart from each other. Our mail delivery woman must be putting at least 200 kilometers on that little Honda Wave everyday. :shock: :laugh:
The Thailand Postal Service really needs to modernize and get their act together and hire some more delivery persons.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Name Taken wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:07 am
certocito wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:07 pm Been to the Post Office a few times to query non-delivery of mail. Went upstairs and found a large cardboard box lying on the floor full of mail for our development. TOT bills, Tru Vision etc plus lots of personal letters. Usual response - shrug of the shoulders..
Came home today and found lots of mail in our post box - one in particular that affects my pension was posted in UK on 12 Jan, arrived in Bangkok central office on 22 Jan - delivered here today 27 Feb. What a load of cr*p. Apparently our postal delivery person fell off her bike and was unable to ride again, so hey, no delivery for weeks. Now I have to contact my pension provider and hope they haven't cancelled payment because I haven't answered their letter....!!!
Mail delivery by the Thai Postal Service is extremely slow out here where we live in Nakhon Nowhere. I am still waiting on a package that was mailed from the U.S. 3 weeks ago and our delivery person/mail woman carries all of the mail for at least 4 different villages on a little Honda Wave scooter with saddlebags. :laugh: :?
The Thailand Postal Service really needs to modernize and get their act together and hire some more delivery persons.
As I have quoted a number of times before, it's not the Thai Postal Service that is all bad, it's the service of the individual offices - I come under Cha Am and get an excellent service - normal delivery from the U.K. Is about 10 days. Previously when I lived in Hua Hin, often the only way to get your post was to go to the main post office by the traffic lights and physically go upstairs and search for your post yourself
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:14 am
Name Taken wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:07 am
Mail delivery by the Thai Postal Service is extremely slow out here where we live in Nakhon Nowhere. I am still waiting on a package that was mailed from the U.S. 3 weeks ago and our delivery person/mail woman carries all of the mail for at least 4 different villages on a little Honda Wave scooter with saddlebags. :laugh: :?
As I have quoted a number of times before, it's not the Thai Postal Service that is all bad, it's the service of the individual offices - I come under Cha Am and get an excellent service - normal delivery from the U.K. Is about 10 days. Previously when I lived in Hua Hin, often the only way to get your post was to go to the main post office by the traffic lights and physically go upstairs and search for your post yourself
:lach:

That is so seriously messed up it's actually funny.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

Honestly, I feel sorry for the Thai Postal workers that have to ride around on a little scooter all day and deliver mail. It must be a really difficult job being outside in the heat riding around on a little scooter and lugging all that mail around.
Imagine if the USPS workers in the U.S. had to work in similar conditions, their Union bosses would have a fit! :laugh:
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

And their job isn't made any easier by the street numbering system
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I've found that 3 weeks for a package form the u.s is standard. my guess is that it arrives at bkk in about 3 days, sits around until customs decides to send it to the main post office where it sits around until they decide to send it to the regional office where it sits around until they get around to delivering it and if you aren't home leave a notice that you have to pick it up at the p.o. where you pay 7 baht for the privilege of picking up your package. if you are home and happen not to see the delivery person they don't ring the doorbell and leave a notice for you to pick it up at the p,o. once and once only I received a package 7b days after it was sent. if there are 2 packages, from the same company, sent at the same time they will be delivered on different days, sometimes a week or more apart. but hey, "the living is easy, your daddy's rich and your ma is good looking, so hush little baby don't you cry."
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

hhfarang wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:35 pm I've had lots of problems with getting local bills delivered, however, I've always received international deliveries either by them tossing a small one through my gate onto the driveway :shock:, ringing the doorbell and giving it directly to me, or leaving a card in my mailbox so that I could pick it up at the post office. Only once was a shipment sent back to sender as I was out of town during the attempted delivery and didn't get the card in time.

The bigger problem for me with parcels is the long queue that BB mentioned at the Post Office and that this is the only Post Office I've ever seen in my life that has no parking lot. About a week ago the closest parking I could find was about a kilometer down Phetkasem and I had to carry a ten kilo parcel that distance on a very hot day! Yes, I know I could have parked in the temple which would have been a bit closer, but after driving past it to see if there was parking on the Post Office street, rather than circle back I turned left down Phetkasem and parked at the first place there I could, which was nearly opposite Villa Market! The other problem with parking in the places I know that are closer; Tessabahn lot, dirt lot a little further down from the Tessabahn, or the Temple is that you can also spend 5 minutes standing in the blazing sun just waiting to cross the street at the traffic light.

A post office is typically one of the busiest places in a town this size that has only one. It is inconceivable (to me) that it should be located in a high traffic area like that with no parking provided, but TIT! IMHO it should have been moved to an entire floor of that wasted shopping mall across the intersection, with more room for P.O. boxes, more employees for faster service, and more space for organized mail storage and which already has an underground parking garage. The current building should be leveled and turned into downtown parking structure for the surrounding businesses and the Police Station, but that would be way too logical for Thai city planners. :duck:
:agree:

The city planning in Thailand is totally retarded, dysfunctional and horrendous.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I buy quite a bit online these days, and when items are sent by post, they are usually able to be tracked. In every instance, the package gets to Hua Hin very fast. The problem (there isn't always a problem) occurs with delivery. They sometimes sit undelivered at Hua Hin Post Office.

The tracking only states, 'Container Arrived at Hua Hin', it never states which Post Office. Now, we sort of understand why the guy from the Southern Post Office won't deliver - he's afraid of our dogs, despite there being a 6' steel gate and the post box is 3' away from the gate. They've given their excuse for being lazy, and we can't deny that our dogs sound scary.

We always leave it a few days before going out in search of our package. We've never chosen the right Post Office yet. The only bonus is that our chosen Post Office can always look up the actual location of the package. Invariably it is either the Northern or Southern Post Office.

OK, a minor inconvenience for me because I have transport, but a pretty major inconvenience for anybody without transport. I'm not sure of the distance, but it's a fair treck between the North and South offices.

Points 41; Position 18
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Every package I have ordered and tracked online tells me what Post Office the package has gone to, usually Mongol office, and gives a time the parcel was sent out for delivery.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.