Third floating market is coming to Hua Hin

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
singhalover
Rookie
Rookie

Third floating market is coming to Hua Hin

Post by singhalover »

As if two water markets opened last year were not enough there is a third already in preparation stages. It will be at Huay Mongkol village close to the big monk`s temple about 15 km north of Hua Hin. A ditchlike pond has been excavated already, running round in a circle, and intense constructions works of buildings and landscape are actually underway. Opening is scheduled for November 2012, but some months delay wouldn´t really surprise us…
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: Third floating market is coming to Hua Hin

Post by STEVE G »

Judging by the large number of Thais who visit Wat Mongkol almost every day, I think that location makes more sense and could attract more visitors than the other two off soi 102.
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Absolutely right Steve, loads of tourist buses go there and it will probably do well if the rents are priced fairly...
singhalover
Rookie
Rookie

Post by singhalover »

If they stop!

It is a two-lane-road and the village lies inbetween. But clever management should find ways to please the bus companies…
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

JW wrote:Absolutely right Steve, loads of tourist buses go there and it will probably do well if the rents are priced fairly...
I hear 250,000 for 2 years rent in advance + 6000 per month. Too much for a new venture when there is already established competition. Do you think you'll see your money refunded if it goes bust early?

I can't see them all surviving.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

To be honest, I am not aware of any floating market in Hua-Hin. I know there are two markets which have a large pond in the middle, but I haven't found any floating market yet. :laugh:

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Actually, we were there yesterday, and what is a new innovation from my previous visit is that there are boats 'floating' on the lake selling things, so technically, it is a floating market.

Still very plastic, and I'm not a fan.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:Actually, we were there yesterday, and what is a new innovation from my previous visit is that there are boats 'floating' on the lake selling things, so technically, it is a floating market.

Still very plastic, and I'm not a fan.
They are clearly geared up more for "tourists" than long term residents. I have been twice and now feel fully satisfied with no desire to return, other than maybe if we have overseas visitors, when it will be something a bit different to show them. I dare say that the "Venice" market will be the same - ok as a one-off for residents, but very likely a destination if you have visitors from home come to stay.
Brooky
Novice
Novice

Post by Brooky »

So it's buyer beware with these floating markets, I've bought enough toot from the stalls in Romford to be that bovered I think I'll give them a miss, the wife no doubt will have other ideas!!
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Brooky wrote: I've bought enough toot from the stalls in Romford
Romford? Oh I say...
snooty.jpg
snooty.jpg (4.29 KiB) Viewed 3702 times

:laugh: :laugh: :cheers:
This is the way
elem
Professional
Professional

Post by elem »

Last year in BKK a girl at the hotel reception told us that she and her friends were saving up to be able to come to HH and see the Floating Market...they were sooooo looking forward to it! ;)
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.[Benjamin Franklin]
shinzl

Post by shinzl »

third??
isn't it too much for the city??
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

Visited this third floating market yesterday and it isn't finished yet. Looks bland and shops are currently closed. The water level is low (filling up slowly every day).

Tour buses will start dropping passengers there from the 14th May. Expect a big advertising push closer to opening.

The smaller market on 112 needs to do something to attract more interest. It looks okay but lacks any punch. Food is cheaper and IMO better but floorboards are cracking and it could start to look shabby if maintenance isn't kept up. Businesses can't survive long without customers and when I went, just after Songkran, it was empty.

The larger floating market down the road has plenty of interest and is clearly popular with the Thais.
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

Same shops, same stuff, same high prices I'm sure.
Well, there's two already so why not a third? "So ein Ding muessen wir auch haben" someone said. Just look at the Santorini park. Same Same shops. Some browsers, nobody buying.
Market research seems to be an unknown in Thailand.
Will they ever learn?
A friend is only one click away
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

Lung Per wrote:Well, there's two already so why not a third? ...

Market research seems to be an unknown in Thailand.
Will they ever learn?
They have done the same with the night markets. A new one has opened up on Soi 51. A blatant copy of Cicada Market.