Tesco moving to Soi 112

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Tesco moving to Soi 112

Post by margaretcarnes »

Brooky wrote:You're telling me, we're flying half way round the world to experience new cultures, cuisine and lifestyles only to shop at TESCO'S!!!!!!!!!!

Where's my f*****g shotgun?? I wanna kill someone!!
Sadly yes. Tesco is now in almost any town of any size in Thailand. It wasn't always so - Tesco Express was the first to arrive in HuaHin about 9 years ago. It was small - attached to a gas station as they are in the UK - and sold mainly Thai brand stuff along with a few fresh fruit and veg and the Bangkok Post. Enough for any farang IMO.
Then as new housing and new farang expanded out of town - mainly to the south - Market Village was born, and with it a huge Tesco - to which Thais flock in their droves. Because it is cool to shop there rather than in the slippy smelly real ChatChai market and the original Mall.
Unfortunately having a huge Tesco makes it all too easy for many expats to take the mass consumerism air conned shopping experience to their hearts as the norm as well. Tesco is cheaper than the old expat mainstay Villa, and their stores also cater for Thai partners - with the eatery sections providing fast Thai food.
They have done their research well and have scored big style. The sad thing is that the original fresh markets lose out - not only to Farang trade - but also to the Thai customers these days who are getting used to a much cooler - temperature wise - shopping experience. And one thing you need to understand about Thais is that any air con environment which they can make use of without the need to pay the electric bill for is a bonus.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

@MC

I hardly think Tesco is the big evil here. You speak as though before Tesco there was nothing but fresh markets and swamp waters. Big C and 7 have been in Thailand for plenty of time and, if anything Tesco is competing with them, as opposed to the fresh markets.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Having conveniently placed shops that expand my options really makes me angry.

caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Pleng wrote:@MC

I hardly think Tesco is the big evil here. You speak as though before Tesco there was nothing but fresh markets and swamp waters. Big C and 7 have been in Thailand for plenty of time and, if anything Tesco is competing with them, as opposed to the fresh markets.
Agree with that. Tesco Lotus, operated by a Thai Co. has been in Thailand since 1998. Sadly, I have been in a few - Bangers, Korat & Hua Hin. In Korat I used to have to do the rounds between the Mall, Tesco, Big C and Makro. Preferred the Mall.
Talk is cheap
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

Is this the location of the store? https://maps.google.com/?q=12.535241,99.961669 If not, would someone be nice and post the correct link?
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

It's correct.
This is the way