New wave of muggings

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

New wave of muggings

Post by usual suspect »

It seems the chance-mugging/bag-snatching brigade are bag in action in HH.
I heard (this one is a rumour) that 2 ladies were stopped and mugged in daylight last week on Soi Salawat. It was also rumoured that the police did nothing and were not really interested.
Another incident DID take place near our Restaurant on the railway road and luckily the lady's bag only had 200b inside and no personal effects of value...2 kids on motorcycle snatched her bag in passing.
What does restore faith a little is the man who has the Thai r/rant opposite ours called the police straight away, they came promptly and dealt with the lady in an excellent manner (the officer from Tourist police spoke good English to her also). Be aware!...these little gits will have your bag in a flash!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

US, probably a silly question, but you don't make it clear. Are we talking about Farangs being stoped and mugged here?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Are we talking about Farangs being stopped and mugged here?
Big Boy,

If by here, you mean on this forum :D or in Yates (where your profile says you are) :D :D no. He's talking about Hua Hin. I've heard about an increase in purse snatchings in town too and mostly from motorbikes zipping by and ripping them off ladies arms. :(
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

:lach: Is the echo back, or the funny weed? I think he may mean are farangs or Thai's getting mugged? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

The answer is BOTH Thai and farangs :cry: :cry: :guns: :guns:
A Greatfull Guest of Thailand
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

:wink: The ones I heard about were farang tourists downtown in the usual tourist areas. :mrgreen:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks Sarge, I knew somebody would provide a sensible answer.

HHF, sorry, I must still be talking with the Janner accent :D
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

After posting this topic we had a lady in the bar last night who yesterday whilst getting on the back of the m/cycle (husband up-front)had 2 Thais triy to snatch her bag. They did'nt get the bag,but the couple got pulled off the bike nearly. Where did this take place? right outside their house, she'd just locked the gate and husband waited with m/c on the street.
Sorry if this post has ended up being a target for a piss-take by the 'regulars' on here. I meant it to bring a bit of awareness to the now escalating crime that seems to be the plague of Farang-women at the mo.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

It certainly seems to becoming an unfortunately common occurrence and over the Christmas period I heard of two very similar incidents.
It would seem sensible for western women to try not to carry handbags at all whilst this sort of thing is going on.
Bella
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Bella »

Sign of the time, will get worse.

My wifes friend had her bagged snatched only last week, pulled ligaments in her arm, fell to the ground and sprained her wrist.

Money short, will get worse.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

HHF, sorry, I must still be talking with the Janner accent
My fault Big Boy, I was reading with my Tennessee redneck accent! :D :D
HHHH
Rookie
Rookie

New Wave of Muggings

Post by HHHH »

These muggings frequently happened when I lived in Naples years ago. One way to beat it is to make it as difficult as you can for the thieve to grab your bag. Try to carry a handbag with a long strap and wrap the strap around your arm. Tuck your handbag under your armpit and try to put you bag on the arm which is away from the road. Once you get used to doing this, it becomes second nature. You won't stop them so try to make it difficult for them. :guns:
bluezephyr
Professional
Professional

Post by bluezephyr »

Being a bit of a security phobe I never ever go on holiday without a safety chain on my wallet. Looks a bit silly when paying for things but Its not going to be lifted without my knowledge. If im out for the evening i only take what i can afford to loose just incase. A few years ago a friend of mine near Bangkok woke up laying in the gutter semi naked and everything was gone of any value, He had lots of ciggarette burns on his back aswell. he had been in a bar drinking, Doesnt remember a thing :shock:

My first time in HH 2005 my friend over there could have lost her bag in the nightmarket, But she had a hold of it as someone walked past and casually tried to nudge it off her shoulder.

My mates Thai wife got mugged in BKK on the way to the visa office with money for payment and all the paperwork :twisted:
Mai ow Khup, Pom Ki Neow :)
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

New Wave of Muggings

Post by margaretcarnes »

I don't mean to sound flippant - this is a serious issue - but asking women not to carry bags is like asking them to give up heels! However, as HHHH points out they can make things more difficult for potential thieves. And trying to hang onto and pull the bag back often isn't the best way.
Daft as it sounds (and difficult to overcome the urge to pull back I know) but letting go to a thief on wheels is likely to cause them to fall over.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

To add to what HHH said, a good alternative is to carry the bag with strap over shoulder, and the bag under your arm and cradled underneath by your hand a wrist. Even better is the bag strap worn across your body, side of neck to under the opposite arm. These methods at least shows the potential thief that you are security aware and won't be an easy mark. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source