When was your first visit to Hua Hin?

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.

Before 1970
1%
1971-1980
3%
1981-1990
9%
1991-2000
18%
2001-2005
29%
2006-present
40%

Total votes: 374

Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Simple one this, but might be interesting to get a general idea here. For me 2004. Feel free to say exactly when and why.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Keeping it simple as requested, our first visit was to see our good friends Toby and Som after their emigration to Thailand.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

1989. I'd just split up with a girlfriend of 5 years in the UK and was getting drunk as normal. A friend came into the local and told me to take a holiday.
The next day I was looking to go back to India but for some reason the prices were expensive. The agent suggested Thailand - Pattaya or HH. I asked what the difference was and was informed that if I was a single male Pattaya was party time and HH was quiet.
Don't know why at 31 years old, but I chose HH. Stayed at the Royal Garden Village (now Anantara) and just fell in love with the country. It took me another 9 years to finally make the move.
Francois
Professional
Professional

Re: When was your first visit to Hua Hin?

Post by Francois »

spitfire wrote:Simple one this, but might be interesting to get a general idea here. For me 2004. Feel free to say exactly when and why.
Well... My son is living in BKK and my daughter in Paris. My son got married with a Thai women and we decided to split our time between France and Thailand so that we can take advantage of our children and grandchildren...
François
And me, still the most self satisfied of men
I was almost as drunk as myself
(Jacques Brel)
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

October 1990. Last stop on my tour of Southern Thailand (11 provinces). Stayed one night at All Nations and played my first ever game of backgammon at a bar where the Hilton is now.
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

I first came to Hua Hin in late 1999, possibly early 2000, for a long 'dirty' weekend, as it used to be called! Stayed in one of the small guesthouses opposite the pier restaurants and had a very enjoyable time with the girl I was with....The only downside of that trip was that the government bus we travelled down in crashed en route - only the driver was hurt but as it was his fault he did the typical Thai thing and ran away from the scene!

I often used to wonder how my life would have turned out if I had stayed with that girl, not that I am at all unhappy with my lot now, but I did go through a fairly tempestuous time after that! I'm sure there are a few others on here who can look back on the turning points in their lives and wonder in the same way... :shock:
The understudy
Ace
Ace

Post by The understudy »

my very first vist to Hua Hin was in 1989. Memories of that Time are still dark as I was then still a Kid of 10 years old. Than in late 19naughty9 fate bought me back to Hua Hin as I very relunctantly enrolled into Stamford International Collage, Schiller - Stamford International University and now Stamford International Unversity. And the rest apparenlty is History!!!

Your's The understudy :cheers:
Last edited by The understudy on Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Love with Hua Hin since 19naughty9 and it ain't fading!!!
(My fable for All Things Japanese knows no boundaries!) Proud Student of Stamford University Hua Hin Campus from 1999 to 2004 (5th Batch of Graduates.)
“Once you survive Stamford U Hua Hin Campus only you can survive anything!!!”
Francois
Professional
Professional

Re: When was your first visit to Hua Hin?

Post by Francois »

spitfire wrote:Simple one this, but might be interesting to get a general idea here. For me 2004. Feel free to say exactly when and why.
Sorry... I forgot :)

First time in November 2006
François
And me, still the most self satisfied of men
I was almost as drunk as myself
(Jacques Brel)
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Lusty wrote:I often used to wonder how my life would have turned out if I had stayed with that girl, not that I am at all unhappy with my lot now, but I did go through a fairly tempestuous time after that! I'm sure there are a few others on here who can look back on the turning points in their lives and wonder in the same way... :shock:
Absolutely! The conditionals. Sure we all have had those moments. :cheers:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

Back in 2004 I was traveling around the world on my lonesome and upon reaching Thailand decided to pay an old buddy in Hua Hin a call for a few days. I was there for 5 years... :?
To this very day my mate in Australia is still wondering where the hell I got to... :|
www.35mmview.com
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

It was around '93.

My ex-husband (current at the time) booked a last-minute deal, and told me we were going to Morocco. :? I always like to find out about a place before I visit, but because of his idea of fun I had no idea where Hua Hin was. It was incredibly cheap - something like 299 pounds including flights for 10 nights B&B at the Royal Garden Village (same as Lomu). I was so confused, because I'd geared myself for Morocco, I don't think I appreciated it as much as I should have.

It was only 15 years ago, but boy has it changed! My next visit was 5 years later with the current Mr.VS. - we stayed in the Tippawan Hotel down the little soi almost opposite Tescos. Not such a grand hotel, but with a far superior partner. :wink:

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

January 2000 to get some rest from family and before going back to reality, having visted Hong Kong, Darwin and Sydney - spending the millenium at Coffs Harbour.

Before I travelled I decided to have a weeks break by the sea by myself on the way home, so checked all the stop-off options and a non-flying way of getting to a beach. LOS it was and the Thai tourist place in the UK sent me details of Pattaya (no ta!), Cha-am and HH. I'd just read of a British army guy staying at the Regent getting shot in Cha-am so chose Hua Hin.

I stayed at the Melia and fell in love with the place. Believe it or not, some nights I just went out and bought some beer, took it back to the hotel and chilled out by reading on the balcony, with a view towards the fishing pier. It was magical.
Talk is cheap
bluezephyr
Professional
Professional

Post by bluezephyr »

I got invited to Thailand in 2005, Didnt know anthing about the place and was my first time out of the UK.
HH is where one of the groups parents live.

6th time over in April :thumb:

I would be alot wealthier if a pub converstaion didnt go the way it did, But what fun ive had along the way :D
Mai ow Khup, Pom Ki Neow :)
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

February 2005, First time in Thailand.

A few of my old mans friends spend alot of time in Hua Hin so I thought I'd pay them a visit.

Ended up meeting my Girlfriend, and a few years later got one of these....................

moja
Guru
Guru

Post by moja »

First trip was in 1989 - stayed in what was the Royal Garden Resort now the Marriot.