When was your first visit to Hua Hin?

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.

When was your first visit to Hua Hin?

Before 1970
1%
1971-1980
3%
1981-1990
9%
1991-2000
18%
2001-2005
29%
2006-present
40%

Total votes: 374

malct
Rookie
Rookie

Re: When was your first visit to Hua Hin?

Post by malct »

stayed at the Grand Hotel & Plaza hotel back in 2008, it was a long walk to the main town and was not really taken in by hua-hin, But recently i have been to hua hin 2 times in the last 2 years and back next year, so got the hua-hin bug ;-)
Rn3296
Novice
Novice

Post by Rn3296 »

First trip to Hua Hin was in 2005, have been going to Thailand 3 times every year since 2002. Normally stayed in Pattaya or Phuket but picked Hua Hin as a quieter destination while travelling with my sister, didn't want her to witness my 'regulars' call me by name while strolling through the sois of Pattaya etc. Was very pleased with the quieter scene in Hua Hin and have been coming back for at least a few days on every subsequent trip. Favourite place to stay now is Baan Pa Ploy in Ponsuk Road, quiet place but just down the road from the action. Will be back again in April 2014.
Timmakati
Novice
Novice

Post by Timmakati »

Came to Hua Hin in Jan 1991, at the time of the first gulf war, with my ex english girlfriend. Came back with my 2 pals in '94 and truly fell in love with Hua Hin. Visited every year until 1999. Planning to visit again next year....
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

^ If you haven't been here since 1999, you are in for a shock... :shock:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

First time through Hua Hin was by train, 1990, was travelling with a friend to Phuket.
Stayed one night not to far from the beach, can't remember the name of the hotel.
Great stay, lots of good food and drinks. Walked the beach and my buddy took the pictures, so
I don't have any for memories. This was my memory of Phuket. At the Beach. and a Picture of
Friendship Bungalows at Kata Beach. That place is gone as well, now it is part of a larger
development.
StarGeezer
Attachments
Kata Beach 1990
Kata Beach 1990
Hrv 1.jpg (35.36 KiB) Viewed 2139 times
Friendship Bungalow
Friendship Bungalow
F Bg 2.jpg (43.06 KiB) Viewed 2139 times
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

1984 and only stay a few day as I was a young man,so moved on to samui and phangang,where the action was slightly better :rasta: :rasta:

:cheers: :cheers:
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Tell us more... I can't imagine what Hua Hin was like in 1984. I first came in 2003 and it's become a completely different place in 10 years. What you saw in 1984 must have been amazing compared to now. Do you have any photos?
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

hhfarang wrote:Tell us more... I can't imagine what Hua Hin was like in 1984. I first came in 2003 and it's become a completely different place in 10 years. What you saw in 1984 must have been amazing compared to now. Do you have any photos?
As I only stayed a couple of day and was a young lad at 23 years it was a little boring at that time
liked it a lot more when I went back in 1995,more bars,restaurents and fun,but still nothing to compared to now,which you would not have belived at that time.
I really hope they will slow down a little with the development of Hua Hin so it's not ends up like
Pattaya or Phuket.
I also visit Pattaya to met a old school friend who had a small resort aty that time but already at that time its start to look what it is today.
In koh Phangang there was only 3-4 resorts we were told,and you really had that special feeling that you found heaven on earth :D :D
Sorry,I have no picture since my camera went caput on my 5 month tour in south east asia,and did't
have money to fix itas it was really a budget tour that time but that's changes a lot since :) :)

:cheers: :cheers:
Paul888
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Paul888 »

First time in Thailand 1992 when I was 22 years old. My first visit to Hua Hin was in May 2013 and I have been here 5 times since then.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

1st time to Thailand in 1993 in my work. I fell in love with the place.

I knew then that my next wife would be Thai. This eventually became reality and she kept on telling me about a trip she had had to Hua Hin with her employer, staying in Dusit Thani. We browsed the we site and in 2007 we went. In the early years we used to stay in Felix Resort in Kanchanaburi as her folks are from Kan province. Since that first time to Hua Hin we have always spent a few days in Dusit Thani as it is for me one of the best places I know to relax and give us a treat. The hotel seems never crowded like Hilton in HH centre, the only farrangs there are a few like me with a thai wife and kid, the food is supperb and so is the access to the beach.
I end up checking out a few housing developments every time, with our eventual move to Thailand in mind, when I retire. In July I intend to check out the Sunday roast in the Orchid Palm bistro on Soi 88 :cheers:
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I knew then that my next wife would be Thai
Sounds as if you, like me, have spent your adult life in search of your next ex-wife. :shock: :D :cheers:
Chromeman
Professional
Professional

Post by Chromeman »

First visit to Hua Hin on March 7th, 2014... ;-)
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Hope you're not disappointed... :wink: :cheers:
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

hhfarang wrote:
I knew then that my next wife would be Thai
Sounds as if you, like me, have spent your adult life in search of your next ex-wife. :shock: :D :cheers:
LOL :P , no this one will last. 10 years married now with a 6 year old Lukung. The fist wife was just a plain mistake. I new her at work, started to sleep together for company, my brother sold his apptment o build a house, asked me if he could rent mine cheap if I stayed with my friend, friend had said she could not get pregnant due to some irregularity down there, sex w/o condom every nite, got pregnant, married out of convenience, great kid, divorce when? Eventually did it and established a project called "Travels With Frank" which you can read on Bangkok Tonight and Pattaya Addicts.
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
BigMac
Novice
Novice

Post by BigMac »

Last year in January, stayed at Ibis so not much in city, this year at Banyan Resort, so I don't learn.