Weather in Hua Hin & Thailand

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I just went outside for the first time in a few hours and they was a wind, a strong on out of the NorthWest... is that the monsoon coming?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

You've got to drink 4-5 liters of water a day Lomu if you're doing things like that in this heat. Even more if you get on the beer as it also dehydrates you. Simple test, drink water until your piss is clear/light yellow. If dark, you're dehydrated.

Another thing I read somewhere. For us over 50 types, we don't get as thirsty as we did before, even when dehydrated. That's dangerous. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

hhfarang wrote:I just went outside for the first time in a few hours and they was a wind, a strong on out of the NorthWest... is that the monsoon coming?
No, you're a bit screwed up down there because of your mountains to the west, it spins the winds around.

When the winds are coming in over the Gulf from the Southwest as they are now, it means the wind shift is happening which will bring the monsoon. Don't expect the drops to fall much before late May though. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Here we go HH. Yes, the map is of India but the same applies to us here, but perhaps starting even a bit earlier. Pete :cheers:

lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I understand what you mean about drinking water, Pete. I don't do as much as you suggest but certainly get through 2 odd litres of the stuff every day.
I think you might be a bit mistaken about the monsoon that comes from India. I know that country fairly well and it kicks off in the south and makes it way up the country and towards the east.
It then pours on the Assam region (probably the wettest part of the world) and then sweeps down across Burma and Thailand catches the tail end of it then.
So, AFAIA, the "Indian" monsoon here starts about 1-2 months after it hits southern India. Winds would be coming from the NW in that instance.
There's also another southern, Thai monsoon which tends to happen later in the year and I would think that winds would be different then. Don't know much about that one.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

You may be right Lomu. I'm going on what we get over this side each year which comes sweeping in from the Gulf from the south and southwest starting in late May and ending in late October. September and October sometimes being the worst. It's always without fail though from the south and southwest and comes in off the sea. I've always linked that with what happening in India.

The only thing that happens this side from the north and east are thunderstorms this time of year, and cold air from the north in the winter.

I'll see if I can find some satellite stuff once things kick off to see where it's coming from. Pete :cheers:
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

hhfarang wrote:I just went outside for the first time in a few hours and they was a wind, a strong on out of the NorthWest... is that the monsoon coming?

:idea: Maybe last night's curry. :wink:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I actually just found more on this monsoon issue. It appears from below that HH would be affected more by the Northeast monsoon, which is the one on the left. Pete :cheers:

lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Pete,
That would make sense. Assam, Bangalesh, Burma and probably the west side of Thailand get hit by that first one the comes up from southern India and then goes down The Bay of Bengal where it normally rains out and spills over here as well. I think?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Here we go, this sums it up pretty well. Pete :cheers:

http://www.thaizer.com/weather/the-effe ... s-weather/
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

0700 hours April 26.

You folks getting wet over there yet? Started here before dawn and at least 75mm so far. Lightening everywhere and electric off and on constantly. MUCH COOLER though! :D

Maybe today the street fair that's annoying everyone there will get drowned out. Pete :cheers:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

prcscct wrote:0700 hours April 26.
You folks getting wet over there yet? Started here before dawn and at least 75mm so far. Lightening everywhere and electric off and on constantly. MUCH COOLER though! :D
Maybe today the street fair that's annoying everyone there will get drowned out. Pete :cheers:
You lot must have p--sed off the rain gods, Pete! I was down your way, (Klaeng etc.) on 10th, the start of Songkhran, and run into the biggest mother of a rain storm that I have seen for some time. Water a foot deep on the road and visibility down to nothing at times. The Southwest Monsoon in Thailand comes from the direction of India, and they are predicting a "normal" monsoon season, expected to start in June.

You are right about the mountains in Hua Hin having an affect, but a lot of the difference is due to to all this side of the Gulf being "protected" by its geographical location, as compared to the East side of the Gulf where you are. The Southwest Monsoon started early last year, and was "late" swinging around to the Northeast at the end of 2008.

As an aside I worked offshore in India for awhile, and we had to shut down operations every year due to the Southwest Monsoon. The west coast of India has a huge exposure to the Arabian Sea, which tends to intensify the Monsoon.

here are a couple more links:

http://www.mrdowling.com/612-monsoon.html

http://www.answers.com/topic/indian-ocean

:cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I think that you have mentioned that you lived in Saudi Arabia at one time, hhf. The "Monsoon" can be compared to the "Shamal" that you would have experienced there. They are both winds, but their effect is influenced by the type of land / sea mass over which they pass.
In the Northern winter there tends to a very cold airstream flowing from the Northwest, from Europe, down over the Arabian Gulf region, which can cause the low temperatures that you often wish for! :cheers:

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Natura ... p?id=14560
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I'm a happy camper this morning... it's overcast and much cooler that the last few weeks here (which imo has been the hottest period I've seen in five years living here). :thumb: :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Mid day now and the worst for now seems to be over. All I can say is that I had to pump out my pool for a straight 40 minutes to keep the level from overflowing. My guess is about 10" over a four hour period. :shock: They're saying these things are going to keep up all week. Wait....we'll be cursing the rain soon and hoping for the warm sun. :thumb: Pete :cheers: