Weather in Hua Hin & Thailand

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Weather in Hua Hin & Thailand

Post by Nereus »

PeteC wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:29 pm This thing coming at us is huge, but they keep saying it's not going to get here. Perhaps they haven't updated their forecasts over the weekend? :?
Yes, this is a big problem with forecasting here. The latest synoptic chart is from 1800 UTC yesterday(midnight local). And that is just when it was posted, not when it was compiled.

That storm is the same one that has just caused a big problem in the Phillipines, and while it is out in the South China Sea it will tend to build up again. If it maintains a westerly path it will cross the southern coast of Vietnam and dump its load and dissipate.

However, it is being pushed south by the NE Monsoon high pressure flow which will more than likely cause it to veer further to the south away from the Gulf of Thailand towards Malaysia. If that is the case Songkla and maybe Chumpon will likely get some rain, with Surat Thani area the most likely.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
JWWhite
Professional
Professional

Post by JWWhite »

This could be devastating, I have not been watching the TV or reading local media, is it getting much coverage?
MY in BS full of BS.
“When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.” Stephen Jay Gould
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Rain is forecast for Hua Hin for the next 3 days. Would that be caused by Tenbin?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

hhinner wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:59 pm Rain is forecast for Hua Hin for the next 3 days. Would that be caused by Tenbin?
Any rain in Hua Hin this time of year is more that likely to be the result of a tropical storm, rather than the prevailing NE Monsoon.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Vietnam braces for typhoon that killed 230 in Philippines

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/asean/ ... hilippines

HANOI/MANILA: Authorities in Vietnam prepared to move a million people from low-lying areas along the south coast on Monday as a typhoon approached after it battered the Philippines with floods and landslides that killed more than 230 people.

Typhoon Tembin is expected to slam into Vietnam late on Monday after bringing misery to the predominantly Christian Philippines just before Christmas.

Vietnam's disaster prevention committee said 74,000 people had been moved to safety from vulnerable areas, while authorities in 15 provinces and cities were prepared to move more than 1 million.

The government ordered that oil rigs and vessels be protected and it warned that about 62,000 fishing boats should not venture out to sea.

Schools were ordered to close in the southern commercial hub of Ho Chi Minh City on Monday, a working day in Vietnam.

On Sunday, Tembin hit the Spratly Islands in the South China Sea, parts of which are contested by several countries, including Vietnam and China.

No casualties were reported in outposts there.

Vietnam, like the Philippines, is regularly battered by typhoons that form over the warm waters of the Pacific and barrel westwards into land.

Tembin will be the 16th major storm to hit Vietnam this year. The storms and other disasters have left 390 people dead or missing, according to official figures.

In the Philippines, rescue workers were still struggling to reach some remote areas hit by floods and landslides that Tembin's downpours brought, as the death toll climbed to more than 230. Scores of people are missing.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I don't know about Hua Hin at the moment, but here in the east it is the most miserable weather I can remember in Thailand. It's been raining since about midnight with a temperature of around 17c. This is more like northeast US weather in mid November and chills you to the bone when outside. Yuck! I think it's going to keep up for another day as well. :( Pete

EDIT: Tourists arriving for their tropical holiday today and tomorrow may faint from shock when they walk out of the airport.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It was pretty miserable here last night, but just light rain and very cold this morning.

I was so cold last night I went to bed early with my tablet, got right under the duvet and watched Plymouth thrash MK Dons. The first time I'd been warm all day.

IMHO this has been the coldest year I've known in Thailand. From when I embarked on my decorating venture until now we've not had many warm days :idea: or have I turned native :D
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Yes, it is the same in Bangkok, depressing. Started yesterday with gloomy overcast and a miserable attempt to rain. Very little wind and the remains of the "big storm" now appears to be off the coast of Malaysia around Kotabharu.
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

Heard it was raining 3 hours ago in Pattaya, has there been much rain in Hua Hin. Hope this storm is
the last one for a long while.
Geezer
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Yes, it's miserable, I've been here since Monday evening and it's been chilly with light rain. I've been to Hua Hin every Christmas for about 15 years and I don't remember it ever being this bad before.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

In Tab Thai, yesterday, was cold, grey and chilly and it started raining in the afternoon and rained on and off for much of the rest of the day and overnight as well. Been cold and windy this morning, but is just starting to brighten up.
Talk is cheap
JWWhite
Professional
Professional

Post by JWWhite »

For the first time ever, and that's 40 plus years, I see my father in law wearing long pants around the house
MY in BS full of BS.
“When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.” Stephen Jay Gould
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Just been looking at comparisons with 2016. Today 22 degs, same day last year 32 degs.

And there is a wind chill factor on top of that!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

What about a comparison over the last 10 weeks with the same period every year for maybe 10 years. I reckon this year must be the coldest.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
robcar
Professional
Professional

Post by robcar »

Been here 3 years now. First time I have worn long fleecy trousers and a jacket ............ indoors :cry: